Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
some macro´s from my garden in the Netherlands > 7 pics
Lens: panagor pmc auto macro 90mm f2.8 + 20mm tube Camera: K10d Photo Location: Netherlands ISO: 100 
Posted By: margriet, 04-24-2012, 03:57 AM

Hi,

I went for the smallest creatures I could find to dust off my rusty macro equipment after a winter stop. I am not completely happy with all of them but lets see what you think? I cropped some for benefit of composition and had to do a lot off dust spots from sensor where do they come from? (LBA !!!). Thanks for viewing and comments / critique and advice very welcome,

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

Views: 800
04-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good work. I especially like the last shot of the little weevil. It's about the size of weevils I've photographed on hollyhocks in my garden. I don't think that the Panagor, which seems to be a popular macro in Europe, has ever been available here in "The States." If you work on the images with PP, try increasing contrast & deepening the blacks. And hello from me in Massachusetts.
04-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice ...

Bonjour,

Thanks for your posts ... good stuff there.

I need to get a set of tubes for my M 100 f4 ... any advice anyone?

Salut, John le Frog
04-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very sharp and colorful series well taken.--charliezap

04-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like them all. I'm sure you could tweak colors or contrast a bit and be even happier. The first image could also be cropped a bit from the left and top to make the insect less centered in the frame. The last image you could crop from the top and right for the same reason.

What is great about the images, and something you can't fix in post-processing, is the angles you used to capture these insects. That is why I like them so much.
04-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Excellent macros, well done. The fly/wasp is my favorite.
04-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

Salut, John le Frog
I'm not sure what is available new in K-mount tubes. I have a 3-piece set made by Kenko and also a "unitube" of 25mm length that has an AF connection. If you cannot find new K-mount tubes, try the used market, either EBAY or KEH.
04-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

Salut, John le Frog

I removed the glass from a 2x converter, makes a great tube. It is 25mm. I plan to get another one and deglass it to give me 50mm.

04-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Must agree with MSL - these showcase some very cute little bugs - especially the weevils - but also showcase your compositional skills... And great light on the (leafhopper?) #2.
04-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks every one for these nice comments! I am a big fan of the weevils, especially the really small ones. But I must agree with Bluestringer that in this series I like the fly the best because the lighting seems most fitting.

Wpresto, I think the panagor lens is more known in the states as Elicar or Vivitar brand, some information on this can be found in the lens review section.

MSL; thanks for noting my face to face angles! I think it´s the best way to get viewers sucked into the small world of insects. When looking through a lens like that you can see how big the hairs on the leafs are to them and how they have to walk as if they walk through a jungle.

For tubes, yes check the second hand etc. Most of them have the flange for the aperture which is really welcome to focus with as much light as possible. It should have to cost a lot of money, mine cost me less than10 euros.

Number 2 is actually a white fly, I had been looking to get one face to face and without blown white color.

Thanks again, I will work on the PP tips for the next series!

regards, margriet
04-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice collection of bugs. Tremendous amount of detail. I shall have to look at aquiring some tubes in the near future
04-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by margriet Quote

Wpresto, I think the panagor lens is more known in the states as Elicar or Vivitar brand, some information on this can be found in the lens review section.
, margriet
I was thinking after I posted that the same lens was sold here under a different name, prosibly Vivitar, less likely Bower or Rokunar. I don't think any lenses are sold in "The States" under either Panagor or Elicar brands, and at the moment Vivitar offers only Canikon mounts. I'm not in the market for a macro, as I already have two excellent lenses (Tokina 90mm 2.5 and Pentax 200mm f4) and one that's good but difficult to use (20mm Zeiss Luminar).
04-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I was thinking after I posted that the same lens was sold here under a different name, prosibly Vivitar, less likely Bower or Rokunar. I don't think any lenses are sold in "The States" under either Panagor or Elicar brands, and at the moment Vivitar offers only Canikon mounts. I'm not in the market for a macro, as I already have two excellent lenses (Tokina 90mm 2.5 and Pentax 200mm f4) and one that's good but difficult to use (20mm Zeiss Luminar).
You are more than welcome to send the 200mm to europe that way you would have some room to look around