Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Silver Efex Pro 2
Lens: DA*55/1.4 Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Virginia 
Posted By: loco, 04-26-2012, 08:05 PM

I recently purchased Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro 2 after my free trial ran out. The software is expensive at $180 for a plug-in, but I have found that I can not come near its results on my own. I'm simply not too good at processing monochrome. Fortunately, I had an Amazon gift card balance that took care of most of the expense.

Many of you have this software already, but for those that don't, it's got great manual controls and also a good amount of presets included. I usually pick a preset I like and then tweak it with the manual controls if necessary. My favorite part is the "toning" section. Lots of control there, too, and great options like copper, sepia, coffee, selenium, etc.

Anyway, here are a few photos I've converted to monochrome using Silver Efex 2. Hope you like them and thanks very much for looking!

f/3.5, ISO 640

f/2, ISO 100

f/3.5, ISO 3200

f/2.5, ISO 100

Views: 2,703
04-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice! I use SEP 2 also, it's pretty cool.
04-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks good Lori and to think they included a free pair of shoes too. Great shot of Snickers, I got to get a cat someday.
04-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Good stuff Lori!

04-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

good results, I like the "tone" in the shooz, good PP always takes so much time, If you shoot a lot It can become overwhelming, if it saves time and gives great results then it's worth it - sadly I don't have it.
04-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Nice! I use SEP 2 also, it's pretty cool.
Thanks!! Well, any software you use is fine by me!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Looks good Lori and to think they included a free pair of shoes too. Great shot of Snickers, I got to get a cat someday.
Thank you, Bob! LOL! Yeah, cats make nice models when humans don't want to cooperate.

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Good stuff Lori!
Thank you, Joe!

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
good results, I like the "tone" in the shooz, good PP always takes so much time, If you shoot a lot It can become overwhelming, if it saves time and gives great results then it's worth it - sadly I don't have it.
Many thanks, CC! Give it a try. There's a free trial. Warning: You'll probably end up buying it if you try it, though.
04-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Very nice looking shots Lori.--charliezap

04-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

like the tweaking of b+w with various effects... these are very well composed/executed... dave m
04-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Den
Veteran Member

Beautiful B&W tones. Couldn't afford NIK's so I went with Topaz's. Seemed to work about the same, quality wise. A lot less $.
04-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Very nice looking shots Lori.--charliezap
Thanks, Charlie! Glad you like them.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
like the tweaking of b+w with various effects... these are very well composed/executed... dave m
Thank you, Dave! It's fun to experiment.

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Beautiful B&W tones. Couldn't afford NIK's so I went with Topaz's. Seemed to work about the same, quality wise. A lot less $.
Never tried Topaz, was that pleased with SEFX2. Good to know there's another option. Thanks for the kind words!!
04-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ha, I like use filter too. makes me look like a retouch pro...
04-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

In all honesty, I hope you had a HUGE balance on your gift card, as this type of software is usually a waste of money. I think that the only features it excels at are simulating film looks. However, I've always had issue with such features, as they never tell you what what your input image should be for the results to be authentic.
04-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
ha, I like use filter too. makes me look like a retouch pro...
LOL! Hey, I'm the first to admit I need all the help I can get.

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
In all honesty, I hope you had a HUGE balance on your gift card, as this type of software is usually a waste of money. I think that the only features it excels at are simulating film looks. However, I've always had issue with such features, as they never tell you what what your input image should be for the results to be authentic.
Well, we can't all be experts at black and white processing. For those of us who aren't, a tool like this is extremely helpful. Have you ever tried Silver Efex Pro? There are quite a few great photogs on this site (most definitely not including me!) who use it with great success.

I'll be the judge as to what is a waste of my money, thanks.
04-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice job, Lori. That second shot (of the onion) is outstanding.

Jer
04-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Topaz is awesome. Nik is okay too, but honestly I think the Topaz is a better buy. I can do almost anything in Topaz that I can do in Nik and it's easier actually.