Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My Wife Likes this but I Don't
Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: Cambria, CA 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 04-26-2012, 10:33 PM

My wife really likes this shot, but I think it looks kind of cheesy - over processed and too bogus. It was taken in really bad light, aiming almost directly at the sun. I tried to do what I could to salvage it but gave up. I want to show her some comments. :-)

Views: 1,326
04-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If your wife likes it, that's all it is. It's not right or wrong just her preference and there's no argument about it. Photography is art and no one will ever agree what's good or bad art.

So if she likes this photo, print it out and give it to her.

Also have you shot it RAW? I think you will salvage that way a lot more next time.
04-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's art..... you can say that there's no tonal range in the grass, that the whole thing doesn't have natural colours, that many of the highlights are blasted... but, that doesn't stop it from being an interesting picture, and one that might appeal to a certain number of people, of which your wife is obviously one. When I put my pictures in the contests here the most I've ever had was maybe 35 votes out of 200, usually more like 10-17... but when people buy our pictures they never ask if everyone else likes it. They just decide if they like it. And if I have chance of selling a theme image to 1% to 1.7% of the population, I'll be a wealthy man. Or to put it another way, many of the images I've sold were not my favorites. Sometimes others see things in an image you don't, and there's nothing wrong with that.
04-27-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It has a fantasy-world look. It might even go with more vibrant greens to push it more obviously into the realm of dreamworld. When one of my shots looks weird, I distort, exaggerate, use a PP filter and call it "art." Considering what sometimes passes for art on canvas................ I don't know that I "like" this image, but it caught my eye, and I enjoyed looking at it.

04-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Started off good, but I liked it less the more I scrolled down. The dirt and grass was somewhat disappointing as I was expecting more rock formation.
04-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't seen it before...but I did hear it on Seinfeld once.....

"The sea was angry my friend, like an old man trying to send back soup in a delicatessen"

Regards!
04-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I disagree with your wife.

No one takes a perfect photo every time. Some scenes aren't worth capturing. Some photos aren't worth keeping. This particular image is all over the place: it's over-cooked, it's too busy, there are too many different textures that do nothing but distract from each other, and the colours are neither here nor there.
04-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think it's a mistake to try and prove your opinion is better then your wife's. Illiciting strangers as allies only compounds the offense.

04-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I think it's a mistake to try and prove your opinion is better then your wife's. Illiciting strangers as allies only compounds the offense.
This all began as a lighthearted conversation with my wife. I think, on the basis of the feedback received, that she owes me a dinner. I appreciate the "art is individual" view, but I was thinking of it more from a technical perspective.

I think it's a throw-away image (literally - my hard drive is getting stretched), although the suggestion to crop out the vegetation in the foreground isn't bad, and I'll give it a try.
04-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well... I actually kinda like it.
04-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Well... I actually kinda like it.
Oh.... well.... fortunately I've already collected on my dinner.
04-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Its odd, I like it, but there's something about it that I just don't know about. At first when I saw it on my screen I could only see an equal amount of rocks as the sky at the top, and I liked it, it wasn't untill I scrolled down to see the entire image that It had less impact on me.

cmohr
04-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Well, I like it a lot! Looks like a scene from a science fiction movie. Especially if you would crop off the grass.
04-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! You dare post a photo on the web with the intent to prove your wife wrong, succeed in your goal, and actually go ahead in collecting on the debt!
You must
a) not be married very long
b) have a very good wife
c) be very brave
d) not have thought about all the future headaches your wife might develop ....

EDIT; Or e) all of the above!

Last edited by altopiet; 04-28-2012 at 06:50 AM.
04-28-2012, 02:52 AM   #15
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The secret to happy life is a happy wife.