Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
PTO causes headache!!!!
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 01-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Ok.. This pano taking obsession (PTO) of mine is causing me headaches!! This picture of the Boise Foothills covered in snow.. has been causing me fits all weekend..

I have been playing with the PP on it trying to get it to work.... it is a 23 vertical shots stitched together. I gave up on the original length for now due to other issues.. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/152926-post28.html

But .. here are two of the original actually cut in half so it is only about 13 pics.. but with two different pp looks.. There are still some "fixes" that it needs but please tell me which you like better???

The softer look...

Or the Sharper look

Then I thought this sign was pretty funny.. I didn't even notice it until I was looking at the pictures afterward.. lol..

As last time if you would like to see a larger view of either these panos.. please goto mtnbearhug/Panos - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting and click on one of the cropped foothills to open the picture then click on full size....

Before I go "play" with these any longer I would like to know which one is worth the battle!! LOL

Thank you for looking.. I hope you like them.. PS.. no fence sitters.. lol J/K..
Views: 1,539
01-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the sharper look. Also perhaps crop off after the cattle on the left side.
What are you using to stitch them together?
01-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think I'd lean a little more towards the "softer look". Maybe a slight adjustment towards your sharper look and see what that does. Nice start on your pano though, looks good. What software are you working with (I know I probably missed it somewhere).
01-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I promise to not sit on the fence

What lens did you use for this project? Settings? Did you try a polarizer filter to help capture more detail and contrast on the mountain and clouds? The reason I ask it that the difference between the 2 versions looks like you are really going for contrast or multiple points / variety of range. I do not know if it is my monitor or my tired eyes from floor hockey, but I almost detect the faintest hint of pink in the 2 panoramas (perhaps more noticeable when compared to the "truck sign picture below in your post). I would try playing with the white balance.
In Photoshop I would try the shadow / highlight in image adjustments. Then try reducing the hue (-6) and increasing the saturation (+22) in image adjustments.
I gave it a quick go in Photoshop so you could see the direction I was headed. Not having seen what you saw with your eyes when the scene grabbed you, I can only make up a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) as to what it really should look like. I hope this gives you some ideas (of what you may consider - or what to stay well away from depending how it strikes you). I think you have a scene worth capturing. I would play with what you have, but if possible go out and shoot it again. Sometimes a different day, different time can lead you down new paths. I know I personally have this one shot that I witnessed when I was camera less. I wrote the day, time, etc down. I have been back to that location 20 times over the last 3 years and have never been lucky enough to get the shot I saw that day (but I still havenít given up)

Spyglass

01-15-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

They both look good to me Kim, and I'm sorry if I helped get you addicted.
01-15-2008, 01:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

They are in deed impressive. The snow scenes just look so good
01-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More shot info..

Clarence, Fritz and Spyglass, I used Autostitch to stitch them together and Paint.net for the PP. I actually used my 80 - 200 on this set because I was still too far away to use my wide angle. My setting.. (dont throw anything...) AV mode.. I know I know.. I need to go manual.... (sigh)....

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
Did you try a polarizer filter to help capture more detail and contrast on the mountain and clouds? I almost detect the faintest hint of pink in the 2 panoramas I know I personally have this one shot that I witnessed when I was camera less. I wrote the day, time, etc down. I have been back to that location 20 times over the last 3 years and have never been lucky enough to get the shot I saw that day (but I still havenít given up) Spyglass
No Spy I didn't use anything fancy... I wouldn't know how to use it if I did.. LOL.. I am still trying to learn how my camera works... I do notice the pink a bit once you point it out.. I will go back and fix that.. The good part about this shot if it snows again in the valley I can go back and it will look just as pretty if not better depending on the clouds in the area..!! so pray for snow for boise idaho!!! LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
They both look good to me Kim, and I'm sorry if I helped get you addicted.
Thanks Stu... or should I say.. Mr. Fencesitter??? lol j/k You shouldn't be sorry for making me addicted!!!! HELL NO!!!!.. it gives me a reason for getting my butt off my computer chair and outside in the fresh air!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
They are in deed impressive. The snow scenes just look so good
Thanks so much.. I am glad you enjoyed them!!!!

Thanks everyone for your comments!!! Pray for snow so I can go back and try again!!!!!

01-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the last two Kim - something I gotta try that and HDR - any excuse to get out there and take pics can't be a bad thing
01-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boy I wish there were great scenes like that in easy distance. I like the sharperone. How long on the computer does it take to get the shots aligned/seamed?. I might try one of a beach scene.
01-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
always a good thing..

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I like the last two Kim - something I gotta try that and HDR - any excuse to get out there and take pics can't be a bad thing
Thats right Dave.. any excuse to take pics is a really GREAT thing!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
How long on the computer does it take to get the shots aligned/seamed?. I might try one of a beach scene.
Well the first one I did full scale... at full size and 95% quality.. hehehe my poor POS computer didn't know what it it.. It took it about 3 hour to stitch.. and I couldn't open it afterward because it was too big.. DOH!!!

Then I put it at 75% size and 75% quality and it took it about 20 minutes to stitch if that.. but remember I had 23 photos.. the one I did that was only 10 only took a min or so.. It usually doesn't take that long..

Speaking of great scenes in an easy distance.. I am off to hermitize in the mountains this weekend and play in the SNOW!!!! and yes of course the camera will be in the front seat!! Hoping to get another Pano and a pic or two for the monthly.. wish me luck!!!

Kim
01-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Kim, I haven't been around for a few days so I come into this a little late but here goes: It is a nice pano but would benefit from a little work, I have given it a quick once over and here are the results:

HalfoffoothillsPanoselfedit-a.jpg photo - Heinrich Lohmann photos at pbase.com

It's a rather large file so I'll just post the link. This is what I did: Open in ACR and adjust WB and contrast and in PS a little adjustment in shadow/highlights and a tiny bit of noise reduction in Noise Ninja.

It is not relly good working on a small processed file, you should be able to do a lot better on the original.

Take care, Heinrich