Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Just get the urge to play...
Posted By: clarenceclose, 01-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Sometimes it comes over me to make a shot into something else.

Took this one of a hiking buddy early in the cool of the morning as the sun rose.
I have known him for 30 years and he was a rugged guy who challenged many areas on his own.

So I thought to add a little something to kick it up and put some of my thoughts of his youthful hiking skills into something I thought he might like.

Your thoughts and comments appreciated.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 01-28-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Views: 1,369
01-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #2

Wow very very cool! I like it a lot. Although I think if you could create some more separation between the model and the background it would be a bit more effective. As it is right now, my eyes don't know what to look at first, the mountains or the guy. Maybe tone down the mountains a bit? But either way, very well done.
01-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Clarence, the shot on the right definitely has all the elements: mood, drama, composition.

The person in the shot did not really blend in too well. ? Add a layer and liquify the edge or add a bit of feather and layer mask to the edges perhaps?
01-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Andras: Thank you. Will play with it some more.

James: You are correct, I need to follow some of my own advice and soften the edges. Thanks.

I suspect one of the problems is my DOF is unreal as both show sharp focus. Perhaps slight blur to the mountains would also help differentiate the subjects.

01-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Inactive Account

clarence, where were you hiking for that shot? hills around town? buckskin or city creek? scout mountain? i'm homesick...
01-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I was going to suggest blurring the mountains a bit to give it more realistec depth.
01-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by craftsmansky Quote
clarence, where were you hiking for that shot? hills around town? buckskin or city creek? scout mountain? i'm homesick...
Ah yes, the hills around town. It is a trail that starts in a subdivision off Canyon Rd. on the west bench. One we hike twice a week in spring/summer/fall to get/stay in shape. It is affectionately called 'Heart Attack Hill'. 2 miles out, 2 miles back 1250' elevation gain. It allows us to take longer hikes on Saturdays and not come back so creaky.

Come to visit and give me a call. We'll do Heart Attack together.

01-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well done Clarence - I think the effect is outstanding.
01-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Good concept and nicely done. Can you keep the friend in his original colors and keep the background monotone?. I think that would help get the idea of him thinking.
01-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
Good concept and nicely done. Can you keep the friend in his original colors and keep the background monotone?. I think that would help get the idea of him thinking.
Interesting idea. I could play with that. Thanks.