Touch o' 'Tude
Posted By: davemdsn, 01-14-2008, 09:54 PM

K10D, FA* 85mm f1.4, two Vivitar 283 strobes
ISO 100, f2.8, 1/60
Slight cross process coloring in Lightroom

Views: 1,181
01-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Very animated expression: naughty and cunning. The skin texture just amazes me there.
01-15-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Davemdsn

That lighting is as sweet as it is soft. I can just make out a minitue umbrella in her right eye (our left hand side of the face). I love looking into the eye reflection to see what the subject saw. It is like a secret, a prize, that you know most people miss. The shallow depth of field hit a home run, perfect, gentle, transition, keeping the attenion on the face. Now we are all going to have to go buy an umbrella, soft boxes and spend countles hours trying to figure out your magic.

Very well done.
01-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. The light is no magic, and I'm willing to share the process. It was not only simple, it was inexpensive.

Main light, to camera left, was a Vivitar 283 at about 1/4 power with a Sto-Fen omni-bounce shot into a medium umbrella and triggered with a cheap radio unit. Umbrella was about 2-3 feet from her face, not far out of frame.

A second 283 was placed high and behind her to camera right for a hair/rim light. It had a snoot made of a Cheerios box and duct tape and was aimed at her head. In this shot it provided the light on her neck and the small sliver of light on her left cheek (right side of image). It was triggered with an optical slave.

I have fairly nice stands, including a boom for one of them, but the rest of the kit is pretty cheap. I would say anyone could put together a similar kit for about $100-150. It's basic Strobist(.com) stuff.

01-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Similar setup

I like to use strobes to mimic ambient light. This shot has the strobe in an umbrella to camera left to mimic light from a lamp (albeit softer than a lamp would be) and an orange gelled strobe to camera right to mimic light coming from the fireplace.

01-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The lighting and expressions are really great in both shots. Very nicely done. And thanks for sharing your lighting setup. I just started looking at the Strobist, and am excited to start trying some of that stuff out.
01-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #7

Like the way you used the light. I like the 2nd pic a lot