Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lone Violinist
Posted By: dugrant153, 01-15-2008, 01:01 AM

Saw this guy playing his violin at the skytrain station and asked if I could take his picture (he said it was okay). Took a few shots, but was only satisfied with two of them.

Your constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated. I want to keep on improving!
Views: 2,171
01-15-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
hmmmm, this looks like the sort of shots i would take ... awesome work mate.. i really like the 2nd shot!! it has a lot of character in it..
the 1st shot im not overly keen on, as theres a bit too many distractions for my eye.. guard railing, escalators etc.for street portraiture i think it is very important to focus as much on the intended subject as possible, trying to eliminate any objects that may distract away from the image... but you coulnt really do much about that in this shot, ... however, the soft focus and graininess really compliment this sort of photography,.,,
overall, nice images mate.. keep taking shots like this.. you have a eye for it..
01-15-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I really like the second shot, I like the angle and the way you have filled the frame with the man and his violin.
01-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the comments!
I went for an old-school style shot, removing the color and adding noise (doing the opposite of what you'd do with most photographs). I've seen some classica black and white photos and some of them are beyond fantastic. That's a style I'm trying to emulate here.

I'm thinking that maybe I could've taken this guy from a better angle. I feel like there's one magic shot that'd make a super photo... but can't really put my finger on it.

01-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
thanks for the comments!
I went for an old-school style shot, removing the color and adding noise (doing the opposite of what you'd do with most photographs). I've seen some classica black and white photos and some of them are beyond fantastic. That's a style I'm trying to emulate here.

I'm thinking that maybe I could've taken this guy from a better angle. I feel like there's one magic shot that'd make a super photo... but can't really put my finger on it.
thats the beauty of digital... keep clicking away until you find that shot experimentation is the key...
01-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I enjoyed #2 - and I'll bet Rome's not even burning. Good street picture - I've never gathered the guts to do this kind of thing very well, and my hat's off to those that have.

Jer
01-17-2008, 01:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It took a while for me to work up the courage. The guy's music was absolutely stunning. My picture doesn't do justice to his musical talent (being a musician, I can 'hear' these things). I guess his music was so inspiring that I decided to finally just go out there and see if he'd be okay with a few photos

QuoteQuote:
thats the beauty of digital... keep clicking away until you find that shot experimentation is the key...
I know Still taking a ton of pictures!