Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
some city shots with a touch of DEE VEE...
Posted By: distorted_vision, 01-15-2008, 02:24 AM

hey guys, well today was my 1st day back at work, after the silly season!!
i decided i would take some shots on my way home from work along the side streets and alleyways of melbourne.. i have a street art competition coming up soon, so i shall try my best to get some pics inbetween the spraying.
i guess this sort of photography is frowned upon by the everyday photographer, but for me, it means alot more than just some messy,dirty walls and surroundings that give off a gritty feeling. there is a lot of emotion that goes through me as i walk around , absorbing the atmosphere,taking these sort of photographs.. its very hard to explain..

an example of street art...

Last edited by distorted_vision; 01-15-2008 at 02:41 AM.
Views: 2,438
01-15-2008, 02:43 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some nice use of narrow depth of field there. I particularly like the shoes on the line and the kitchen.
01-15-2008, 02:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fula6 Quote
Some nice use of narrow depth of field there. I particularly like the shoes on the line and the kitchen.
thanks mate.. and a big welcome to pentaxforums.com i see you have just recently joined up.. i look forward to seeing some of your work...

kev
01-15-2008, 03:02 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Cheers Kev. I look forward to participating - looks like a good crew here

Bill

01-15-2008, 03:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cheers Kev. I look forward to participating - looks like a good crew here

Bill
yeh, its a fantastic site.. i have learnt such a lot and also made some great friends at the same time...
01-15-2008, 03:29 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Like I've said before, Kev - you've got a good eye for spotting stuff most of us just walk past without a second thought.

Like the shot of the shoes on the wire and the great urban survivor - the much maligned pigeon - I just like it for some reason. It's kind of comforting to know that although you are thousands of kilometers from my town it looks the same; urbanites are the same everywhere, I guess.

I don't mind the art on the walls but stupid graffiti signatures can be ugly (to me, anyway). You should show us the colour version of the last two - just for fun. I definitely like the motion blur of the pedestrian in the last shot; it gives life to a still shot.
01-15-2008, 03:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Like I've said before, Kev - you've got a good eye for spotting stuff most of us just walk past without a second thought.

Like the shot of the shoes on the wire and the great urban survivor - the much maligned pigeon - I just like it for some reason. It's kind of comforting to know that although you are thousands of kilometers from my town it looks the same; urbanites are the same everywhere, I guess.

I don't mind the art on the walls but stupid graffiti signatures can be ugly (to me, anyway). You should show us the colour version of the last two - just for fun. I definitely like the motion blur of the pedestrian in the last shot; it gives life to a still shot.
thanks ever so much for the great feedback mate..

i shall post some colour shots for you

Last edited by distorted_vision; 01-15-2008 at 03:39 AM.
01-15-2008, 03:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
heres one.

01-15-2008, 03:58 AM   #9
Inactive Account

That really is a talent isn't it? Greta angle that you got there Kev.
01-15-2008, 04:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That really is a talent isn't it? Greta angle that you got there Kev.
there are some absolutely fantastic writers in melbourne.. we have a solid reputation world wide in the graff scene...
it takes lots of practice mate.. i hate to think of the amount of cans i have gone through over the years....
street art is usually done by the kids in school who always used to scribble throughout their textbooks and draw non stop.. we still do the same, just now we are older and dont have textbooks. we have walls instead.. and might i add, these days, any work that i do, is all council approved and is actually praised by a large percentage of the community. i guess people can appreciate the work involved. i have done a few walls for shop owners, displaying their company name etc.. the list goes on..... sadly these days i dont really get into it like i probably should. as life goes on, we change with it dont we..

thanks mate, i thought the angle complimented what was otherwise a pretty straightforward image.. i try my best to make the ordinary look more spectacular than it actually is.. its not easy sometimes..

Last edited by distorted_vision; 01-15-2008 at 04:07 AM.
01-15-2008, 05:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Kevin. Great seris and again I can spot the majority of places you had taken the shots from. I would not get the same result for sure.

I love the graffiti shot in the 2nd post where that angle is very unique and special. Never thought of that way to view these wall art!
01-15-2008, 05:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hi Kevin. Great seris and again I can spot the majority of places you had taken the shots from. I would not get the same result for sure.

I love the graffiti shot in the 2nd post where that angle is very unique and special. Never thought of that way to view these wall art!
thanks a lot jimi
01-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice work as usual ... I really like that shot of the shoes hanging on the line.
I really like the vibrant colours of the last graffiti shot as well.
01-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I really enjoy the DEE VEE view of the world, I particularly enjoy the way you create superb images from otherwise mundane subject or locations.

QuoteQuote:
i hate to think of the amount of cans i have gone through over the years....
Do you have any photos of your own graff works that you could post?
01-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #15
m8o
Veteran Member

There's a notable comparison that can be made here...

You:
QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
me:

I'm humbled in your presence!
I just hope I learn & remember all these lessons you've been giving us.