Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Single mother
Posted By: baro-nite, 04-30-2012, 09:35 AM

Yesterday I noticed that a Ruby-throated Hummingbird has started a nest in a tree in front of my house. I expect I'll be posting quite a few shots of her and her soon-to-be burgeoning family, so rather than spamming other threads with them I decided to start this one.

Cloudy this morning but there were a few glimmers of sun at just the right time to peek in. Also, I added a flash at another window, below right, to supplement the on-camera flash and to help give some modeling to the lighting.

There's no place like home (57% crop)
Views: 2,222
06-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #46
Veteran Member

So awesome! I love the last 2 to 3 series of images. Thanks so much for staying with this and bringing it to us here on PF!

06-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That last shot is amazing! I love the way the leaves frame the tiny birds. wow wow... loving the series very much!
06-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I wonder about the missing bird, but hope he matured enough to start his life's journey. Thanks so much for sharing this great thread with us and would love to see one more, the baby leaving the nest for the 1st time. I guess you will have to monitor the nest 24/7 for that shot.
I don't know what to think about the absent chick. If the remaining chick fledges soon I'll feel more optimistic. I'd be lucky to catch the moment of first leaving the nest -- back in the incubation phase I made several attempts to get a shot of Mama just as she was leaving the nest. Never could get it.

QuoteOriginally posted by wcchamp18 Quote
I love the last 2 to 3 series of images.
Thanks Tracy. It's been great fun watching the chicks grow.

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I love the way the leaves frame the tiny birds.
So do I, but on the flip side it is exasperating as the leaves continue to crowd out the view and the sunlight.

Lots of activity this morning. Exercise:

Preening:

Exploring:

Apparently the chick will hold onto the nest while exercising its wings; it certainly seems to be flapping fast enough for liftoff without that anchor.
06-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
By the way, my last search for info turned up an astounding webcam of an Allen's hummer that keeps reusing the same nest:

Phoebe Allens WebCam

06-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
They grow up so fast ...

When I checked at around 8:30 PM tonight, the nest appeared to be empty. So I share my final shot from this set, taken at 6:11 PM today, another session of wing exercise:

This makes me feel a lot more optimistic about the other chick.

So, going back over the sequence, and from what I read about incubation and fledging times, I'll guess the eggs must have hatched before I realized it, somewhere around 2012/05/22, and she still stayed in the nest most of the time to keep the newborns warm. (That was between two of my trips and I didn't have all that much time for observation.) That accords pretty well with my original guess about when the eggs were laid.

If I'm mistaken and the chick is still there, or of course if Mama comes back for a second clutch, I'll be posting more. Otherwise, thanks to all for your views and comments, and join me in raising a glass of your favorite nectar tonight.
06-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazing shots!!! I have never seen this before. Wow!!
06-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #52
Veteran Member

thanks Jeff for taking the time, effort and expense to share this thread with us, a true pleasure to view.