Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

My First Macro
Posted By: daacon, 01-15-2008, 11:12 AM

Well the first one that turned out anyway. Thanks to my friend Peter Zack I have my new to me Sigma 105 f2.8 Macro Lens. This is going to be fun I can tell. I can't wait until the spring and summer for the creepy crawlers to come out !

This is right out of the camera - raw to jpeg conversion with a slight adjustment to the exposure. For our non Canadian friends yes that is our two dollar coin called the toonie Can you take an economy serious that has a toonie in its currency ? There is also talk of a $5.00 coin coming out ... hard enough now to keep the pants up with a pocket full of change!

Last edited by daacon; 01-15-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Views: 2,122
01-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Well done jobs. Very good subject isolation

01-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks good Dave,

I'm surprised that you didn't have a macro lens yet
But then again I'm sure that people were surprised that I didn't until a couple of weeks ago, and that one's getting returned for a Sigma (the owner doesn't want to sell it, but they're willing to loan it to me for a long time)

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures with it.
01-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A fun shot, Dave. Macro puts you in another world.
Thanks Jer I feel I am in another world half the time anyway so that will work out nicely

QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
If you have a penny and a tooney what's in the middle. Nice shot I have been trying macros and close ups and seeing how hard it is to keep in focus.
Thanks weatherwise2 A Pooney ? I am amazed at the shallow DOF - at least with his lens there is a full and limit switch to help with that.

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Oh no you've struck gold with a new great lens! You'll love that lens and I'd reccomend it to anyone looking for a macro lens. Can't wait to see you use it out in the field!
Thanks Chris - that is indeed where it will shine I hope literally out in a field.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Well done jobs. Very good subject isolation
Thanks James this was on my desk - may have to bring some spiders and such in for posing

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
<snip>
I'm surprised that you didn't have a macro lens yet
But then again I'm sure that people were surprised that I didn't until a couple of weeks ago, and that one's getting returned for a Sigma (the owner doesn't want to sell it, but they're willing to loan it to me for a long time) <snip>.
Thanks Stu have fun with yours. I had nothing (a Panasonic TZ1) 10 months ago - then I got this itch - after being scratched and scratched with bodies, lens, filters, tripods, bags I was hoping it would go away ......the itch just seems to change , it feels like a fisheye now
01-17-2008, 07:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice start Dave, It's a wonderful lens and will provide loads of fun. A very good mid length telephoto as well. Dedicated macro lenses are known for their sharpness across the entire image. It was always one of my best including the Limiteds.

You can stop it down to f22 or whatever the scene requires and increase the DOF some. It all depends on the light. If you have a wireless flash, go to the dollar store and pick up a couple of the car windsheild reflectors and light the still life from all angles. Somebdy posted a home made light box a month or so ago and for about $5.00 you can have a blast shooting inside while the thermometer dips.

I know will buy this lens again someday. I looked at the Tamron 90mm at the time and gave it a test run before buying. Both are great lenses with awesome picture quality. I just like the all metal build and longer length of the Sigma (which gets you a little further away for 1:1 macros).

Have fun and I look forward to seeing some shots from Mexico.

01-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Nice start Dave, It's a wonderful lens and will provide loads of fun. A very good mid length telephoto as well. Dedicated macro lenses are known for their sharpness across the entire image. It was always one of my best including the Limiteds.
<snip> Have fun and I look forward to seeing some shots from Mexico.
Thanks Peter for the Lens and the comments - yeah I got about 4 weeks to decide what comes with me - Initially I was thinking one (18-250) a big reason why I bought it. Then two (12-24 , 18-250) , then 3 (Bigma, 12-24, 18-250) .... now I am all the up to everything and I don't have a bag now that will fit them all. If only all my issues were so "tough"