Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
RM Barker Photo Posts
Lens: Sigma APO DG 70-200mm 1:2.8II Macro HSM Camera: Pentax K200D Photo Location: Ottawa River ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RM Barker, 05-02-2012, 08:06 AM

These are the locks of the Rideau Canal emptying into the Ottawa River with the city of Ottawa in the background. The photo was captured at 6:30 p.m. from a bluff overlooking the river and canal. The original was saved as RAW but Post Processed, including some cropping, and converted to .jpg
Views: 807
05-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a very interesting set of locks. Does the canal go on to a different river system or lake, or does it just serve the city? I don't quite know the geometry of streams and lakes around Ottawa, especially to the North.
05-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The Rideau River connected Lake Ontario, at Kingston, NNE, to the Ottawa River. In the 18th Century, Ottawa being the nation's capital and a very important commercial centre, and with the Rideau being un-navigable in places, it was decided to fix the bad spots by building a canal and locks. The Rideau River empties into the Ottawa River, which, at the time was a most important highway for the movement of timber.
05-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like it , I could spend a few hours down there for sure.