Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rage!
Posted By: codiac2600, 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM

So yeah me and the Pentax crew here in Rockford decided to get together for another meeting of fun and photography.

First we played with balancing daylight with flash:

Yes that is the sun in the upper corner and it took quite the aperture and flash power to make it expose like that and still have a blue sky.

And now we jump for joy since we succeeded with the first lighting test.

Ah men with tools... my camera vs. pipe wrench!

Oh no a sneak attack!

But he is no match for my one strong arm!

Oh yeah! Feel the thrust of my wrench!

Wait I have a call fool!

Dropped call!

We must fight together!

AHHHHH! We don't stand a chance!

(some scary noises that probably woke the neighbors from their slumber) ARGH!

Gotta love having a flash that can shoot multiple bursts

All taken with the DA*16-50 at various apertures, slight RAW adjustments to bring out that fashionable high contrast look. I hope you enjoyed and C&C is appreciated so feel free to leave something.
Views: 2,260
01-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like you had fun with these.
The expressions on most shots were very well done.
Off camera flash?
01-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This might be my favorite series of yours. Very inventive.
01-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Looks like you had fun with these.
The expressions on most shots were very well done.
Off camera flash?
Thank you and it was fun, we like to meet up and try new things and just enjoy taking pictures.

Yes all shots had off-camera flash involved in one way or another.

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
This might be my favorite series of yours. Very inventive.
Thanks Dave, but I'm still lacking in some of my lighting and every time I look at your site and see some of those pics I am ashamed of myself

01-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice series Chirs the difference between men and boys ........ is of course the $$ of their toys! Looks like a good time. The lighting looks good - love the last one.
01-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #6

haha. "dropped call."

why do i look so red? i'm a bounce not a gell!
01-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #7

Nice stuff. It looked like fun. Nice story to boot. From the sequence of your images, it seems that you honestly have the mind of a writer.

What type of lights did you use? And how did you fire multiple bursts?

01-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Kudos to you Chris and your models. This is a great series. The lighting is well done and I would be interested to hear more about your set up here. I keep looking at that first shot and wondering how the heck you nailed that one like that!?!
01-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice series Chirs the difference between men and boys ........ is of course the $$ of their toys! Looks like a good time. The lighting looks good - love the last one.
Thank you and it's always fun when people with the same interest come together and do something with that interest.

QuoteOriginally posted by sketchin13 Quote
haha. "dropped call."

why do i look so red? i'm a bounce not a gell!
I think your monitor is off... you still look pretty normal to me. In the last pic I boosted the contrast so you can see the motion better.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
Nice stuff. It looked like fun. Nice story to boot. From the sequence of your images, it seems that you honestly have the mind of a writer.

What type of lights did you use? And how did you fire multiple bursts?
Hey Marcus and sometimes I feel like a writer, but one with ADD cause I just can't sit there and write!

We used a mix of strobist style flashes off camera on lightstands and also some 320Ws studio strobes from my basement studio.

The Promaster 7500EDF for Pentax has a setting where you can set repetitions and the Hz (frequency) so if I can recall we did 10 reps and 30Hz for that last shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Kudos to you Chris and your models. This is a great series. The lighting is well done and I would be interested to hear more about your set up here. I keep looking at that first shot and wondering how the heck you nailed that one like that!?!
Thanks LaRee and I think I gave it all away, but I'll try and dig out whats left in my brain when I wake up a bit more.

Oh, first one ha. Well You expose for the sun which was ISO 100, f16, 1/125 and then you set up a strobe bare on a lightstand. The strobe was the AF540 and was at 1/1 power and we did a couple of test shots and this is one of them. Turned out well, but next time I'm going to move the strobe more over to give it some more shadow detail or even lower the power if need be.
01-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Camera vs Pipe and Dropped call have exceptional lighting. The red in the wrench really brings-out the Camera vs Pipe image.
01-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #11
dbh
Inactive Account

Enjoyable and entertaining images! Thanks very much for sharing here.

Don't be surprised if you get contacted by Ridgid offering a sponsorship.

Heavy-Duty Pipe Wrenches - RIDGID Professional Tools
--
dbh - no affiliation
01-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Camera vs Pipe and Dropped call have exceptional lighting. The red in the wrench really brings-out the Camera vs Pipe image.
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
Enjoyable and entertaining images! Thanks very much for sharing here.

Don't be surprised if you get contacted by Ridgid offering a sponsorship.

Heavy-Duty Pipe Wrenches - RIDGID Professional Tools
--
dbh - no affiliation
Lol, that would be great, but they probably don't need me
01-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
Inactive Account

As has already been said great shots I have to say your posts are often very inventive and inspiring. your light tent shots were very good and this series is brilliant, if your not a professional then you should be!
01-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Thanks Dave, but I'm still lacking in some of my lighting and every time I look at your site and see some of those pics I am ashamed of myself
Ain't it funny how the grass is always greener on the other side. I keep looking at your stuff and thinking, "why didn't I think of that?" It's always good to be able to look outside ourselves and appreciate others. Keep up the good work.
01-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
As has already been said great shots I have to say your posts are often very inventive and inspiring. your light tent shots were very good and this series is brilliant, if your not a professional then you should be!
Thank you Thomas and your words are very kind

I would love to be a pro but there is a lot of competition here and I still have a long way to go before I feel capable of producing consistently good work so I stay in business.

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Ain't it funny how the grass is always greener on the other side. I keep looking at your stuff and thinking, "why didn't I think of that?" It's always good to be able to look outside ourselves and appreciate others. Keep up the good work.
I suppose but some of those shots you have just blow my mind and I can't figure out how you light it. I seem to get that a lot when I play in the studio and tomorrow I'm practicing again with the guys so lets hope I can learn something new and come up with another lighting technique out my rear.