Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
(My) Life in Colour
Posted By: CWyatt, 05-03-2012, 01:52 AM

(My) Life in Colour

This is some of my personal series on friends and family. Some is a Holga 120N (cropped), some a Holga 135BC, and some digital. I won't say which is which as I think it's hard to tell and unnecessary. The 'retro' look is popular at the moment, with hipstermatic and instagram, but I think it is often used in lieu of goof composition or timing. However it can give a personal, warm feel, and so I have used film and film conversions in this series on friends and family. There are several digital images I'm still going back through but here is it so far.

Last edited by CWyatt; 05-03-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Views: 854
05-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some very nice shots. Especially like the cat and the girl holding the flower.
05-03-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a fine series good memories.
05-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely love the tones and feel to these images! Definitely very much my cup of tea i must say... that's the kind of style with people shots i would love to be doing... interesting as i can't really pick out which one's are digital and which are not but i would love to be able to treat some of my shots that way. Lovely!

05-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very nice.
05-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #6

Nice shots, good to remember
05-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks very much, I'm absolutely going for nostalgia and intimacy with this stuff, so hope that came across.
This is perhaps about the first half of the stuff I've got (although I'll trim the final set to maybe 25 images for viewing and keep the rest in the library).

If anyone's familiar with my stuff, it's 99% black and white, so this is a big change. But then this is a rather different project - observing things in my own life versus someone else's. Not shooting much on film now, which is a bit of a shame but the film and processing costs are quite high, and the digital conversion, to be honest, looks pretty much the same. And though I don't want the photos to be about the look, I enjoy this look being the antithesis to the pervasive technical worrying in photography.

Not sure if that makes sense - basically what I mean is that photos for me are pretty much about feeling, and if a certain look from film or processing helps get across a feeling you're trying to convey, you might as well go with it. Kind of the same reasoning for most of my stuff being in black and white, I guess.