Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
IR with my new *st ds ...
Posted By: LaRee, 01-15-2008, 11:53 PM

I am now the fortunate owner of a IR only converted *st ds. It came in the mail today. I only took about 35 photos. Not like me at all. But I was only out for about an hour or so. The sun was bright, but the skies were solid blue, not the best for IR landscapes. Clouds are an important element in IR landscapes imho. Regardless of the skies, I went to my favorite local spot for IR work, Presidio Park, San Diego, CA.
I can see that I will have to find a solution for battery power on this camera though. I threw in some batteries that we had here and it already shows the batteries as half drained.
I left the camera with the saturation etc settings that it came with as I'm sure the guy who modified the camera and used it probably had it set to a good start. I still have a lot of experimenting to do to learn where I like the settings with this camera for IR work. It has been a while since I did any IR work. One thing I can say is the ds is a very clean camera for IR work. There is a good amount of dust on the sensor that I need to clean off, but first I want to be sure there isn't something I should be careful of, or even IF I can clean it? I'm not sure where the IR filter is installed, but I'll find out.
You can find many version of the shots I took today, processed differently. But what I uploaded most for was to show the diffrence between a straight raw pef converted in Lightroom with ACR 3.1 and ACR 2.4. The color difference is huge!
LaRee : photos : InfraRed- powered by SmugMug
Ok, enough of my babble. Here are two I processed and uploaded.

I don't know why, but I can't get the third image I was going to post here to work. It keeps posting too large no matter what I do. Computer gremlins at work again. Oh well, you can check it out in the gallery should you be interested.

Keep in mind that I'm not really converting these "properly" with a channel swap or anything. These are just quickly eyeballed to where I wanted or using a preset in Lightroom as a starting point. But I am impressed with the image quality of the *st ds for IR work. Now I just have to remember how the heck to post process. You can see some of my other IR work with my p&s on the previous pages in the above linked gallery.
Views: 1,308
01-16-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great pictures! I have a spare *ist DL that I'd love to get converted for infrared photography. Where did you buy your DS?
01-16-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

awesome mate... i really like these shots... the 1st one is great... it has a good feel about it.
01-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Where to get IR converted cams

Great pictures! I have a spare *ist DL that I'd love to get converted for infrared photography. Where did you buy your DS?

Contact Frank here:
PentaxForums.com - View Profile: frank

He has a friend that does the conversions. He has a k100d that is converted and for sale right now. But he will take your camera and convert it for you too if you send it to him. Quite a cool service because the places I know of that do conversions don't work on Pentax cameras, plus they are MUCH more expensive for the conversions. This guy gives quite a deal. Good luck and be sure to post if you get yours converted and what you think about it!

QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
awesome mate... i really like these shots... the 1st one is great... it has a good feel about it.
Thank you kindly Kev. I'm just getting warmed up so to speak. Better things to come I am certain.