Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

some MORE city shots with a bit of the ol' DEE VEE style...
Posted By: distorted_vision, 01-16-2008, 12:24 AM

hey guys, well i decided i would go out and take some more shots of the street art/culture around melbourne to show you all.. i hope you like the images

this is my favourite hang out in melbourne.. i spend most of my spare time in this little part of the city when i want to chill back with mates or even some when im by myself like today..

here is one of the many laneways, always bustling with people and lots of fantastic cafe's...

Last edited by distorted_vision; 01-16-2008 at 04:51 AM.
Views: 4,226
01-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thanks heaps everyone.. im glad you like the pics! i took lots more today, so i will post them up later on tonight!! stay tuned

01-17-2008, 12:53 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
well here are a few more from today!!! hoep you like them!!!

a........

b...

c...

d....

e....
01-17-2008, 01:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I really like (b). Great photo with great depth!!
Reminds me of the QVB in Sydney
01-17-2008, 01:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I really like (b). Great photo with great depth!!
Reminds me of the QVB in Sydney
thanks mate!

01-17-2008, 02:05 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Man, I gotta get outa this one-horse town and see some of the 'real' world! Great shots Kev!

Of the graffiti I just wanted to say on a personal note I detest the willful damaging of private property! In our 4 hoofed town (see above!) all we get is the a$$holes that scribble thier signature on business walls, post boxes, windows, air conditioners and, of course, telephone junction boxes (we call them 'cross-boxes'). It's just an ugly defamation of private property and costs business and individuals plenty to clean it up. When the coppers finally catch these hooligans perpetrating their crimes they should make the urchins clean it up as a fitting penalty.

Now that I have ranted on my soapbox on the evils of graffiti I would like to say that most of what you are showing is, in my humble yet narrow view on life - ART! The pictures are really creative, colorful and like all decent art, make the observer take a moment and ponder what they are viewing. I guess I am having a hard time separating the portion of graffiti that I would describe as art from the seemingly mindless scribbles.

Anyway, I like the arty wall scribblings! Nice work!

Of this latest batch I really dig 'b' and 'd'. Ok - 'a' and 'c' too! The dot-to-dot images of the little girl is cool.

I gotta ask - what do you do for a living? It would seem like photography has recently taken up a huge portion of your time. You're young - you should consider developing more towards the photojournalism side of life. You've got half of that description down pat already.!
01-17-2008, 02:25 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Man, I gotta get outa this one-horse town and see some of the 'real' world! Great shots Kev!

Of the graffiti I just wanted to say on a personal note I detest the willful damaging of private property! In our 4 hoofed town (see above!) all we get is the a$$holes that scribble thier signature on business walls, post boxes, windows, air conditioners and, of course, telephone junction boxes (we call them 'cross-boxes'). It's just an ugly defamation of private property and costs business and individuals plenty to clean it up. When the coppers finally catch these hooligans perpetrating their crimes they should make the urchins clean it up as a fitting penalty.

Now that I have ranted on my soapbox on the evils of graffiti I would like to say that most of what you are showing is, in my humble yet narrow view on life - ART! The pictures are really creative, colorful and like all decent art, make the observer take a moment and ponder what they are viewing. I guess I am having a hard time separating the portion of graffiti that I would describe as art from the seemingly mindless scribbles.

Anyway, I like the arty wall scribblings! Nice work!

Of this latest batch I really dig 'b' and 'd'. Ok - 'a' and 'c' too! The dot-to-dot images of the little girl is cool.

I gotta ask - what do you do for a living? It would seem like photography has recently taken up a huge portion of your time. You're young - you should consider developing more towards the photojournalism side of life. You've got half of that description down pat already.!
i know exactly where you are coming from as far as 'tagging' and random defacing of public and private property.. it looks dreadful i know and it just creates a HUGE anti-graff attitude towards the 'real artists'.. the only way i could compare it , is like how the police assume any nice car they see on the road, has been speeding or doing something illegal, because a large majority of idiot drivers do burnouts on the street etc and speed around built up residential areas... yes it happens, but the 'true' car enthusiasts wouldnt even think of doing it... we leave it at the racetrack and thats the truth..
the same can be said about 'graffiti street art'.. there is a time and a place to express ure art, but sometimes, unfortuneatly, local councils etc, tend to ignore this completely, thus forcing people to put their art up illegally.. the thing with graff, is that its all about expression and also territory.. you have to understand that some of the work you see on the walls are from people that have hit rock bottom in life and this is indeed their life-line so to speak.. they are desperately reaching out to society to get a reaction, be it good or bad..

i hope that makes a little bit of sense.. the only problem with the street art scene-as you are aware 'art' is a personal interpretation and what appears beautiful to one person, could appear vulgar and talentless to another. random scribbles to some people mean alot. to some, including me, they look bloody awful and pretty much just ruin what was once a perfectly good structure/object/wall etc..

the thing with these pics that i have shown you.. all the work is on walls in alleyways... run down, dirty, dingey alleyways that look scary even in the day time.. by people displaying their art work, it draws public attention and therefore turns a ugly wall into a piece of living art for everyone to enjoy. anyway, enough of that,lol.. my fingers are hurting from all the typing.. lol

as far as my work. well i work for a off-set printing company in melbourne and also i am a qualified cabinet maker.i also do I.T stuff at work like graphic design and shit like that but i cant stand it!! i really do not enjoy my day job and i honestly feel it is a complete waste of my time.. everyone at work knows me as the 'photographer' and nearly everyone has one of my pics as their desktop backgrounds on their pc's..
you see the thing is.. i so desperately want to do photography as a full time thing., this isnt just a hobby to me, this is seriously my life..
i have a hard time staying motorvated and i really dont know how to get into the scene so to speak.. i would absolutely LOVE to do photography and get paid for it as a job... problem is. i have no idea where to look and what i should even do. i have no training, i have no prievious experience... i mean i have only had this k100ds the last 3 months. this is my 1st digital slr and im still learning, however i am feeling pretty confident with it..
i would do just about anything to get into photography as a day job,,, its just knowing the right people i guess, and that is probably one of my problems, i have no contacts for a job.. im just a 25 year old guy who loves photography and i want to show the world my life through my eyes...

sorry for writing so much mate... its just my heart and soul is fixated on photography and i cant see that ever changing... it means so much to me... i dont mean to sound all weak and airey fairy, but its the truth mate.

Last edited by distorted_vision; 01-17-2008 at 04:27 AM.
01-17-2008, 02:44 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I just know you are a chatty person - this is just an extenuation of your persona. But I agree, typing sucks. Thankfully I took typing in grade 9 and I never forgot how - like riding a bike, I guess.

I won't bore you too much further with my philosophies. I just 'celebrated' my 28th year in my current job. Hardly a celebration as no one, not even the boss, noticed or mentioned anything. I am counting the days (well, months) when I can leave. I have to put in a minimum of 30 years to get any kind of decent pension - so you can do the math; 24 months. I really do not like my job. It is meaningless, pointless and thankless - until it comes to payday! I need this job to pay the bills, for sure. But more importantly I need it to satisfy my hobbies; and photography seems to be fairly expensive. The company has offered buy-outs to previous dead-wood employees like myself and I pray daily that it will happen again - soon! I am just going through the motions to get a paycheque at this juncture in my career.

Bottom line - I trust you won't find yourself stuck in a dead end job 25 years from now wishing that you had done something different with your life. Make a move - now!

Ok - honestly - I'll shut it! Zippppppppppppp! (I am stitching my fingers together so I can't type.)

01-17-2008, 02:53 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I just know you are a chatty person - this is just an extenuation of your persona. But I agree, typing sucks. Thankfully I took typing in grade 9 and I never forgot how - like riding a bike, I guess.

I won't bore you too much further with my philosophies. I just 'celebrated' my 28th year in my current job. Hardly a celebration as no one, not even the boss, noticed or mentioned anything. I am counting the days (well, months) when I can leave. I have to put in a minimum of 30 years to get any kind of decent pension - so you can do the math; 24 months. I really do not like my job. It is meaningless, pointless and thankless - until it comes to payday! I need this job to pay the bills, for sure. But more importantly I need it to satisfy my hobbies; and photography seems to be fairly expensive. The company has offered buy-outs to previous dead-wood employees like myself and I pray daily that it will happen again - soon! I am just going through the motions to get a paycheque at this juncture in my career.

Bottom line - I trust you won't find yourself stuck in a dead end job 25 years from now wishing that you had done something different with your life. Make a move - now!

Ok - honestly - I'll shut it! Zippppppppppppp! (I am stitching my fingers together so I can't type.)
Thanks mate, i understand what you are saying and it means alot ,. i think what i need to do is kik myself up the ass and get into gear,... i need to stop wondering about why i cant do it and start telling myself i can do it!

i'll make a promise to you and also myself.. in the next 6 months i will be working as a photographer one way or the other and i will make sure thats the way it stays.. so from now on, as of this second, my focus is changing... i am going to meet the right people, i am going to put myself out there and with a bit of luck, 25 years down the track i can look back on this conversation and remember that you where the person that inspired me to be where i am.
let the journey begin!!!
01-17-2008, 03:36 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
heres a few more pics...

f.....

g....

h.....

Last edited by distorted_vision; 01-17-2008 at 03:58 AM.
01-17-2008, 03:45 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Kevin, excellant shots. You could probably start a blog on all the wall art shots you have captured.

A lot of familiar scenes again and I will not be able to capture these shots with the angles you had adopted.
01-17-2008, 03:47 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Kevin, excellant shots. You could probably start a blog on all the wall art shots you have captured.

A lot of familiar scenes again and I will not be able to capture these shots with the angles you had adopted.
thanks jimi a blog? is that like a website or gallery is it?
01-17-2008, 04:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Come on! You would know what a blog is! You are a graphic designer and I am an IT moron here!

I use http://www.blogspot.com and you could just register your account there for free. Start adding your photos to your site. It is fun. And you make it like your project as well.

Darren Melrose told me to do this like assignment. Over time, you will have a series of port folio for display on line and it is all free!
01-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Come on! You would know what a blog is! You are a graphic designer and I am an IT moron here!

I use http://www.blogspot.com and you could just register your account there for free. Start adding your photos to your site. It is fun. And you make it like your project as well.

Darren Melrose told me to do this like assignment. Over time, you will have a series of port folio for display on line and it is all free!
hah!! oh yeh, i know the ones

i will do that for sure... it sounds like a great way of organising work etc...

thanks jimi!!
01-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #29

So are you only using the kits lens? And what type of editing program are you using?
01-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote
So are you only using the kits lens? And what type of editing program are you using?
I would guess either the Sigma or Tamron 18-200mm. I think I will take another look at those lenses.