Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

some MORE city shots with a bit of the ol' DEE VEE style...
Posted By: distorted_vision, 01-16-2008, 12:24 AM

hey guys, well i decided i would go out and take some more shots of the street art/culture around melbourne to show you all.. i hope you like the images

this is my favourite hang out in melbourne.. i spend most of my spare time in this little part of the city when i want to chill back with mates or even some when im by myself like today..

here is one of the many laneways, always bustling with people and lots of fantastic cafe's...

Last edited by distorted_vision; 01-16-2008 at 04:51 AM.
Views: 4,223
01-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
most of these these shots are with my sigma 18-50mm. i use 'GIMP' as my editing software...

01-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Keep it up Kev.

I am finding more and more people are asking me to shoot their children and babies ... well ... only in the photographic sense (that sounded shocking ... I hate guns).

I am lookiing at starting up my own little side company ... as I can see the demand there in my region (of all the people I have spoken too ... they travel to the other side of Sydney and pay $100 per photo ... and they look average).

I am really going to consider this ... I know I am going to have to outlay a bit more money on some equipment ... but I will make that back over a short period of time.

I say go for it ... build a portfolio ... set up your own website ... and just go for it.
Do you have a camera store that is local???? Like a little small personalised one?
I am finding my local guy is really helpful.

Even my wife is encouraging me to get into it more (I think she sees $$$$ though ... LOL).
At the moment though ... with 2 jobs ... I need to manage my time a lot better so i can fit all of this in.
01-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
Thanks mate, i understand what you are saying and it means alot ,. i think what i need to do is kik myself up the ass and get into gear,... i need to stop wondering about why i cant do it and start telling myself i can do it!

i'll make a promise to you and also myself.. in the next 6 months i will be working as a photographer one way or the other and i will make sure thats the way it stays.. so from now on, as of this second, my focus is changing... i am going to meet the right people, i am going to put myself out there and with a bit of luck, 25 years down the track i can look back on this conversation and remember that you where the person that inspired me to be where i am.
let the journey begin!!!
Good grief - I've created a monster!

I am really glad you are going to make some positive steps towards your dream; if my rant was the impetus that pushed you over the edge, it is something I can live with. You're a sensible lad so hopefully you won't go and do anything rash - like quit your day job right away. You will obviously need an income to sustain life whilst you go for your dream.

My thoughts on this are such; you have a natural talent and you really love to show it off - that is great! Accolades from friends, family and co-workers is very addictive - once you get a few compliments you will strive to please them over and over again. But you need something to accompany the raw talent you are exhibiting; you need accreditation. Check out local colleges and night schools and sign up for basic then advanced credited courses in photography. You've got a natural gift that needs to be nurtured and developed into a art form. The sad reality is that most 'professional' photographers need a second job to make ends meet - photography just doesn't pay much. Now, don't let that discourage you from trying. There are successful, rich and happy photographers in this world, and you will be one of them someday. Set up short term and long term goals for yourself. Don't be discouraged by any setbacks, learn from your mistakes and press forward.

If you require further positive affirmations, I am right here.
01-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #34
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#7, 10 & 11 really do it for me the most, tho not to take away from any of the others. You consider posting any to the Pentax Photo Gallery? (I'm on a PPG kick lately as I've been trying a pic a week or so now) Though the partial sunlight in #11 is working against it, I think #7 & 10 has the saturation and compelling composition I think is necessary to "pass the audition" of getting past the member voting, and possibly get approval by the 'official' judges.

01-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
#7, 10 & 11 really do it for me the most, tho not to take away from any of the others. You consider posting any to the Pentax Photo Gallery? (I'm on a PPG kick lately as I've been trying a pic a week or so now) Though the partial sunlight in #11 is working against it, I think #7 & 10 has the saturation and compelling composition I think is necessary to "pass the audition" of getting past the member voting, and possibly get approval by the 'official' judges.
thanks mate! glad you like them
whats this pentax photo gallery?
01-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #36
m8o
Veteran Member

whats this pentax photo gallery?
The much loved and maligned PPG ... PENTAX Photo Gallery

The quality level is extremely high; arguably at the expense of having many fantastic photos of our members declined by over the months for unknown reasons. Many people have submitted 10 to get all 10 rejects, or only 2 accepted. I'm feeling pretty good w/a 1-0 score [ PENTAX Photo Gallery ]. I just submitted another which is in review. Fingers crossed for a 2-0 record. I really like it when I see pictures posted by members here, and I see them in the member's voting collection or accepted in the gallery.

On the right click "Site Tools > Contact Us" and leave them a message, filling out the form and stating that you'd like to participate. Someone will contact you a few days [or weeks] later that your profile is active and info. Once you have that, you go to Photo Gallery :: Artist Pages to manage your profile, submit your best images, and vote for other people's images.

Voting consist of just a + or - . Mr. Riley (sic) I believe it was got a reply from them. If a photograph gets 25 out of 40 negative votes, it will be declined. If it's higher, it goes on to approval by someone @ Pentax then is added to your gallery once approved.

Last edited by m8o; 01-18-2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: added a link to a killer 'space' shot
01-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
The much loved and maligned PPG ... PENTAX Photo Gallery

The quality level is extremely high; arguably at the expense of having many fantastic photos of our members declined by over the months for unknown reasons. Many people have submitted 10 to get all 10 rejects, or only 2 accepted. I'm feeling pretty good w/a 1-0 score [ PENTAX Photo Gallery ]. I just submitted another which is in review. Fingers crossed for a 2-0 record. I really like it when I see pictures posted by members here, and I see them in the member's voting collection or accepted in the gallery.

On the right click "Site Tools > Contact Us" and leave them a message, filling out the form and stating that you'd like to participate. Someone will contact you a few days [or weeks] later that your profile is active and info. Once you have that, you go to Photo Gallery :: Artist Pages to manage your profile, submit your best images, and vote for other people's images.

Voting consist of just a + or - . Mr. Riley (sic) I believe it was got a reply from them. If a photograph gets 25 out of 40 negative votes, it will be declined. If it's higher, it goes on to approval by someone @ Pentax then is added to your gallery once approved.
hmm, interesting, thanks for that mate.. i shall enquire!

01-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #38
m8o
Veteran Member

p.s. while the antithesis to the 'art' of photography, and purely technical, but how kewl is this?!
Me, I really want to find out all the gear I need to take these:
M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy
I will have to get far away from this area (I'm on Long Island) away from all the light pollution.
01-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #39
Veteran Member

This is a very nice series of shots DV. I have really enjoyed them. Especially the wall art. And I never thought I would say that I enjoyed viewing graffiti! You have done a really nice job showing it off.
01-19-2008, 12:48 AM   #40
Veteran Member

great shots dude! Love 'em all.

Gimp rocks too!
01-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #41
Inactive Account

hmm, interesting, thanks for that mate.. i shall enquire!
If you check out the first sticky of the Post Your Photos threads you will see one for Pentax Photo Gallery it is to display the few (and I do mean few) photos that are worthy to enter the PPG.
Sort of gives plebs like me an idea of just what quality is expected.

It is a heartless soul destroying pastime of mine that every now and again I force myself to do - so far I am 0 accepted for about 100(exaggerating here) submitted.

Give it a go just don't be disheartened if rejected - they give no reasons for rejecting or accepting.
01-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #42
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Great series of shots Kev. I like the style and angles/dof you have chosen to capture the shots. It really brings the wall art to life ( not the typical flat shot of a wall). You've got a good eye.

I think you've gotten some good advice from Jeff and tread slowly, research your options. You don't need to be another starving artist trying to find a way to make a buck with a camera. It would really take the fun out of this as well. But once you're ready and find the right avenue to chase the dream, I think you'll go a long way.