Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Trona Pinnacles
Camera: probably LX or *st Photo Location: California 
Posted By: WPRESTO, 05-04-2012, 11:38 AM

While I'm posting images of deserts, here's an evening shot of the Trona Pinnacles (a National Natural Landmark). These are in the Searles Valley, over the mountains to the west and paralleling Death Valley. These columns of tufa were created when Searles Valley, together with Death Valley, was filled by a huge lake (600ft/280m deep) during the Ice Ages. Springs coming up along a fault zone carried calcium carbonate that crystallized when it hit the cool water of the lake, sort of like stalagmites being deposited by rising water in a lake instead of drip water in a cave. This small spot, accessible by a long, extremely bumpy dirt/gravel road, is adjacent to the vast China Lake Naval Weapons Center. There's an interesting aircraft graveyard and museum in the area, but it was closed by the hour we drove by.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-31-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Views: 1,147
05-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure is rough looking country out there Walt that you captured nicely.--charliezap
05-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Sure is rough looking country out there Walt that you captured nicely.--charliezap
That's why the area is used for weapons testing, gunnery, munitions storage, etc. Nobody there to evict or bother. Earlier, while in Death Valley, we watched a stealth bomber and chase plane for a while. Possibly a training flight.
05-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Walt, you sure got some beautiful setting sun light on the Pinnacles, great narrative too. This is part of my old stomping grounds and know the upper desert well. TFS, Bob

05-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a nice place to visit if you don't mind the 7-mile washboard road...
05-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Walt, you sure got some beautiful setting sun light on the Pinnacles, great narrative too. This is part of my old stomping grounds and know the upper desert well. TFS, Bob
Thanks Bob. have you been into the Pinnacles? We really hit great light on a lovely evening. We were coming down from over-ankle snow at a stop through the Panamint Range.
05-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It's a nice place to visit if you don't mind the 7-mile washboard road...
YES! YES! You sound as if you've done that horrid, so-called "road." We had a rental Chevy Cavalier - dreadful little car. Thought the bouncing along the road was going to shake off the paint. But, we had wonderful evening light when we got there.

05-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Thanks Bob. have you been into the Pinnacles? We really hit great light on a lovely evening. We were coming down from over-ankle snow at a stop through the Panamint Range.
Walt, I think I have been on every dirt road that leads to a power line in the upper desert. I worked for a large electric utility and had jurisdiction of the areas. My teeth are still loose from some of the rugged roads we traversed.
05-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Walt, I think I have been on every dirt road that leads to a power line in the upper desert. I worked for a large electric utility and had jurisdiction of the areas. My teeth are still loose from some of the rugged roads we traversed.
You have my admiration for the work you did, and my sympathy for the conditions you had to endure, both roads and summer weather.
05-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
YES! YES! You sound as if you've done that horrid, so-called "road." We had a rental Chevy Cavalier - dreadful little car. Thought the bouncing along the road was going to shake off the paint. But, we had wonderful evening light when we got there.
Been there in a Celica with stiff shocks...
05-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Been there in a Celica with stiff shocks...
Cool. Never driven a Celica, but even if it were a skateboard it would be more comfortable than that impossibly bad Cavalier. I've driven quite a few different vehicles can only think of two I'd be tempted to rank lower.
05-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

V. Nice+