Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

HDR shot
Posted By: thomasjmpark, 01-16-2008, 09:09 AM

Hi,

Just another shot from the bedroom window. Playing around with HDR, although theres a break in the weather so might take a bike ride!

Views: 3,161
01-17-2008, 04:37 AM   #16

Sweet shot. I might have to give that software a try. Thanks!

01-17-2008, 06:03 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
a slightly different view, with less green!

01-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Usually a crop fan..

I am usually a crop fan but I like the second pic better Tom.

I didn't mind the green on the other, but the green on the second one is much more realistic.. but I also like the more the of the river showing and along with the trees..

The house doesn't stand out as much either so the scenery takes control of the picture..

both nice shots.. Thanks for sharin.

Kim
01-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Kim To be honest im a fan of over saturated or high contrast images be it colour or B&W but agree that there is a limit. Of the 2 i still prefer the 1st.

01-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Hi Tom. I hear what you are saying about the winter doldrums - sadly it is not my favourite time of year either.

Of the two shots I prefer the first one. It has a sort of mystical look to it. I like the super saturated colour of the grass, the snow capped mountain, the menacing sky and the droopy branches. Not to be critical but the white buildings behind the trees sort of spoil the effect. Maybe when the gale stops you could venture over there and ask them to kindly relocate. I am sure they will be quite understanding.
01-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

That's really the view out your window, Thomas? Awesome. You are lucky to be able to live like that in crowded England.

I prefer the first shot, too. The UK can be a bit bleak at this time of the year and a little more saturation gave me a "Hey I wanna be there" feeling. The second one, while also a fine shot of a beautiful location, left me thinking that I'm glad it's summer in the southern hemisphere.
01-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Re: DWhopson, There's far more folks here more educated to speak about HDR images than I but, one way to get started is to use the auto-bracketing function of your camera. It'll take three images of different exposures for you which you can then merge together to bring out different highlights of each exposure combined into one image. You could take two or more images and change the exposure yourself and merge them. You can take one RAW image and process versions of it differently then merge those together. You could even (I do this, it's poor man's HDR) use the multi-exposure feature on a K10D to produce an in-camera HDR image.

Not all levels of HDR work for all shots of course. Worth experimenting with though, as I have seen some amazing HDR images.

01-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
Forum Member

It's amazing what the k10d camera can do!
One question: When doing the multi-exposure mode for HDR, is there any adjustments I need to make myself in between shots to get these effects? e.g. aperture, shutter speed, iso. Or do I just set it to auto ev and let the camera do it's thing, or if not in auto, I manually adjust the ev in between shots?
01-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Kentax. You dont have to do anything with the camear other then set it to bracketing mode. Its best to set the camera up normally (aperture and so on) and then set auto-brakecting to 5 pics. Depending on what you choose the bracketing steps to be (1, 1.5, 2 etc) you end up with 2 shots under exposed, 2 shots over exposed plus the properly exposed photo. I always shoot in manual. These are loose guidlines though and its good to experiment.
01-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DWH . Have a look into it. It well worth it. Its fun for some great results. Recommend checking out Photomatix.
I reckon if I can do it, anybody can.
A sample of my humble efforts.(maybe not the greatest example)
My thread (A Country Drive) the chaple shot is HDR as well. A much better example I think.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Last edited by Bramela; 01-30-2008 at 01:32 PM.
01-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #26
Forum Member

Thank you Thomas, very much appreciate your reply. I've tried it out on a few subjects/scenes but am no where near the quality of your examples. Any insight on how your processed these photos?

I'm currently using Photoshop cs2 w/ Bridge do process the HDR's. Any others using the same software? I would also love to see your examples!
01-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many wonderful qualities in this image. Nice work.

Stephen
01-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

That is very beautiful. Clear edges with beautiful colour!