Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Red
Posted By: Tom Lusk, 01-16-2008, 09:48 AM

A couple of shots of a cardinal that stopped by the house the other day:

If it looks like he's glowing, it's because he was.
Views: 3,628
01-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks, everyone!

The lens used was my FA*300. The distance was approx. 10 feet. Rob, my blind is:

Got it as a clearance item for $20.00 IIRC. Best $20. I ever spent.

I set it up (takes approx. 30 seconds) in a bird-rich area and leave it until the birds are used to it. Putting feeders up in the area is a great help. The windows can be zipped up until just the lens is visible from the outside, and as long as you're quiet, most birds will not spook when the shutter releases. Some species are easy- chickadees and goldfinches. Cardinals can be tougher...

Lowell, thanks for the mate for my lone male. No sign of a female in my area at all.

Kim - the light was catching the bird in the second shot at an angle that made him literally glow. I didn't know whether the camera could capture that, but it did. Looks a little unreal to me, but that's what I saw.

Peter -thanks! I've been trying to find out what the plant is the bird was perching on. Rosehips!

01-17-2008, 07:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

A great couple of shots Tom - Ozzie Smith would be proud of ya
01-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, Ozzie...

Best of all time, in my opinion.

The Michael Jordan of baseball.
01-18-2008, 03:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Tom, such a rich red, radiating its colour so wonderfully.

I wish I could actually see the bird in real life. A magnificent bird in deed!

01-18-2008, 06:06 AM   #20
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
The lens used was my FA*300. The distance was approx. 10 feet. Rob, my blind is:

Got it as a clearance item for $20.00 IIRC. Best $20. I ever spent.

I set it up (takes approx. 30 seconds) in a bird-rich area and leave it until the birds are used to it. Putting feeders up in the area is a great help. The windows can be zipped up until just the lens is visible from the outside, and as long as you're quiet, most birds will not spook when the shutter releases. Some species are easy- chickadees and goldfinches. Cardinals can be tougher...
Thanks Tom,

This gives me a much clearer picture of how you are able to get the birds to come so close and seem such at ease. In the end, no matter how long the lens may be, you still need some proximity to really grab those high-end shots. And boy I'd say ten feet is pretty darn close!

Rob
01-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
Thanks Tom,

This gives me a much clearer picture of how you are able to get the birds to come so close and seem such at ease. In the end, no matter how long the lens may be, you still need some proximity to really grab those high-end shots. And boy I'd say ten feet is pretty darn close!

Rob
10 feet is pushing the minimum focus distance of a 300mm lens
01-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Beautiful shots Tom! And.. I've looked at that blind on ebay sales but there is little info. How is the room inside and is it very portable?

01-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another one...

Same bird, I think, a couple of days later, darker conditions:

Lowell- a very good point for anyone trying this kind of photography. Not all 300mm lenses are created equal. My FA*300 does quite well to approx. 6 feet, whereas other 300's I've seen would be useless anywhere near that close.

Similarly, I have a 135-600 that will focus properly at 600mm to approx. 10 feet - if I ever get it operational.

Rob - you said it! There is no substitute for getting close to your subject - unless you get into the quality of cameras/lenses that is currently not available to Pentax users.

Scott- these blinds are as portable as portable can be. Weighs 9 pounds and folds into an approx. 27" diameter circle about 2" thick that goes into an included pack that you carry on your back. Roomy enough to put a folding chair, a cooler, equipment, etc. and weatherproof (although you would get wet in a sustained rain). Here's a link :

Ameristep®- Outhouse®

Lots of other models to chose from. I think the Doghouse at least sounds better than the Outhouse...
01-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

So, you get sent to the outhouse instead of the doghouse! Damn, I prefer the doghouse.
Thanks for sharing your setup Tom, even though you've done it several times.
01-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Same bird, I think, a couple of days later, darker conditions:

Similarly, I have a 135-600 that will focus properly at 600mm to approx. 10 feet - if I ever get it operational
I this the one with the close up lens? I thought the copy you got came with the lens? or by operational, you mean you are having trouble carrying it? Oh my achin' back!
QuoteQuote:
these blinds are as portable as portable can be. Weighs 9 pounds and folds into an approx. 27" diameter circle about 2" thick that goes into an included pack that you carry on your back. Roomy enough to put a folding chair, a cooler, equipment, etc. and weatherproof (although you would get wet in a sustained rain
is 9 pounds with or without beer in the cooler?

Great info Tom.
01-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Tom, I almost missed this post but haven't spent much time here lately...anyway these are two very nice Cardinal shots but that first one is a superb photograph. Thanks for posting them and do take care,

Heinrich