Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Why I finally got a DSLR...
Posted By: Igilligan, 01-16-2008, 02:11 PM

Kids Kids Kids....
I have two years of flash shots of the kids when they were little. One day I had enough and ended up with the fuji S6000 and F30. I was not ready for a dslr and these P&S had usable iso 800 for flashless shots of the kids. A bit of NR, but better than the blown face - black backrounds of my other cam.
I finally learned enough to know I wanted to push the flashless thing a bit farther. And I picked up my K100d the kits and a 50 1.4 or two.

So this is the kind of shot I knew I wanted to be able to get. Not perfect yet... but I am smiling none the less.

Happy 3rd birthday to the Menace....

She looks almost angelic here.....

but you cannot evoke these kind of reactions unless you got a bit of the menace in you...

Thanks for looking... If anyone has kids and is on the fence about a dslr vs P&S... I say just get the dslr. You will not be sorry.... But the Fuji F30 is still strapped to my belt most always... small is good sometimes.
-gus-

Last edited by Igilligan; 01-16-2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: left out
Views: 1,543
01-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots of some candid moments - all keepers for sure.
01-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
Igilligan

Thanks Dave,
I know family pics sometimes go over like cheap warm beer on these forums, so I do appreciate your kind words. How are you liking that macro lens?
I have seen some great portraits from that sigma...
01-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No Problem my Kids are older now I miss those days and I recognize those looks . .as for the Macro Lens I am anxiously awaiting spring time here- although in a month I will be in Mexico - just trying to decide if I should be frugal and bring one or two lens or all of 'em ! I think Mexico will offer a few Macro opportunities and yes I think it will be a great portrait lens as well.

01-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well I agree with you on the reasons for getting a DSLR. Kids! I to just wasn't satisfied with the shots I was getting with the old P&S. So I picked up my old ME Super and started using it again, which then progressed to my current k100d. It looks like you have a very nice family, and some really great candid shots for sure. Thanks for sharing.
01-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Igilligan

Daacon and Fritz

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
No Problem my Kids are older now I miss those days and I recognize those looks . .as for the Macro Lens I am anxiously awaiting spring time here- although in a month I will be in Mexico - just trying to decide if I should be frugal and bring one or two lens or all of 'em ! I think Mexico will offer a few Macro opportunities and yes I think it will be a great portrait lens as well.
Oh, lucky you... Mexico sound like a great trip... The Macro should go for sure. I wish I had to struggle deciding which lens to take with me on an exotic vacation. It would be a tough choice for me though. Lets see... for me, the FA 50 or SMC tak 50 1.4, Size wise the DA 50-200 over the Tamron 70-300... And a M28 3.5 plus since I dont have a great wide lens yet. The kit will have to go.
In a perfect world I would have a new Tamron 28-75 2.8 and lets throw in a bigma too...
Good luck on your decision. And have a great time...

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
Well I agree with you on the reasons for getting a DSLR. Kids! I to just wasn't satisfied with the shots I was getting with the old P&S. So I picked up my old ME Super and started using it again, which then progressed to my current k100d. It looks like you have a very nice family, and some really great candid shots for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Fritz
That was it exactly for me. I could sometimes get good shots indoors with the fuji F30 but I have loved my K100d since this picture from the first card full of shots.
ISO 800 with the DA 50-200. I knew when I saw the detail at ISO 800 on this "slow lens" I was gonna be happy.

The FA 50 1.4 and SMC TAK 50 1.4 are low light monsters for the kid shots. Next up for me is the 28-75 F2.8 tamron... I hope it will be my family zoom...

What lenses are you using for your family shots?
01-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

For most action shots I use either the 18-55 kit lens, or the DA 50-200. The lenses are a bit on the slow side as you mentioned, but the auto focus really pays off when they are moving quickly. Everything else I have is manual focus, but I do use them all! M-50mm f1.4, Vivitar 75-205mm f3.8, Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5, Super Takumars: 28mm f3.5, 35mm f3.5, 55mm f1.8, 135mm f3.5. I think that's all.

But if I'm unsure what the day will bring I mount the kit lens, for its versatility. But like you I'm looking for something faster to cover that range. Something with a constant f2.8 would work great.

Beautiful shot of your kitty. Very sharp and really shows what that lens can do!