Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Last of the Super Moon shots
Posted By: Bob Harris, 05-07-2012, 03:00 PM

The last of my "moon shots" from our campsite in the desert of Nevada.

Attached Images

Views: 1,914
05-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Bob H has given some good advice, but here's what I always remember about Moon shots. The full Moon is midday bright and very reflective, so the "sunny 16" rule applies for correct exposure: use manual exposure, set aperture to f16, set shutter speed to ISO setting (i.e., if you're using ISO 200, shutter speed is 1/200; if you're using ISO 800, shutter speed is 1/800). This will almost always underexpose anything on Earth that is in the foreground with the exception of urban lights.To include dark foreground you must double expose, using something to mask out the part of the frame that contains the Moon, or use a multi-stop (at least 3) graduated filter to hold back the Moon. A moon low on the horizon can tolerate a longer exposure because the light is somewhat dimmed by the atmosphere.
Great information Walt, I hope he stayed tuned to the thread. Bob