Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Solid Rush
Lens: 24-70 Photo Location: Harrison Lake ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Jimbo, 05-07-2012, 04:13 PM

Few more from Sunday's outing. Cheers JIM

Running Flow

Solid Rush

Sitting by the Dock of the Bay

Green Rockery

Views: 1,391
05-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series! I love the detail in the lake in the third.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
MSL
Pentaxian

Third stands out because it is a different theme, and it is a great image. One suggestion - for portrait images could you please post them smaller so that they will fit onto my screen (which is a 24" monitor). I'd love to see you shoot the same scene with different aperture/shutter speed combinations as I'm not convinced the flowing water option is always the best choice. We'll really, I want to be wherever you are taking these images and doing it myself, but since I can't do that, I'll suggest you try things out.
05-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Third stands out because it is a different theme, and it is a great image. One suggestion - for portrait images could you please post them smaller so that they will fit onto my screen (which is a 24" monitor). I'd love to see you shoot the same scene with different aperture/shutter speed combinations as I'm not convinced the flowing water option is always the best choice. We'll really, I want to be wherever you are taking these images and doing it myself, but since I can't do that, I'll suggest you try things out.
First, thank you for taking the time to comment. As far as adjusting my aperture, for water flow, I do this all the time. I just don't post every example when I shoot a scene. On this shoot I took over 400 images and tried a number of settings for each framing. What I post here is a small sliver of my outings and never really get into showing my approach to a area. As far as posting smaller its a force of habit as I post a certain size image on my web site.

Look, for me its all about learning something that is new to me and each area has so much to offer. I tend to go back to areas I like, under different weather conditions, trying to push more out of a area. Hell, most times its a inner feeling for my when I work a area and do I get it right all the time, no way but the process, for me, is about pushing my limites. So much to leanr and so little time. Cheers JIM

05-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
MSL
Pentaxian

Jim,
I hope my comments didn't sound too critical. I think you are taking some great shots. It just seemed to me that in a number of the sets of photos that you posted of flowing water, they were all shot at slow shutter speeds. I guess I was just curious to see one or two of those scenes at faster shutter speed and greater depth of field for comparison, for my own learning purposes.
best,
Marc
05-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice series Jim , I have seen you in action and you do push the limits and constantly tweak you settings - you've come a long way my friend from those first Heron shots (although I do miss those).
05-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Jim,
I hope my comments didn't sound too critical. I think you are taking some great shots. It just seemed to me that in a number of the sets of photos that you posted of flowing water, they were all shot at slow shutter speeds. I guess I was just curious to see one or two of those scenes at faster shutter speed and greater depth of field for comparison, for my own learning purposes.
best,
Marc
I will post a few later today. When I look at these type of images the water flow, along with the given light I have to work with, will determine my shutter / Abersure settings. Is the light flat or is it contrasty where picking up shadow detail can be a challenge. I have shot scenes from 1/10 of a second up to 30 seconds to get certain effects. In the future I will try to vary the posts so you can see how a approach a scene. What I post here is only a sliver of what I take.

Personlly, I like the water with a smoothy flow while others prefer the effect a faster shutter speed gives. On the day in question I also shot from 200 ISO up to 800 ISO to get a certain effect and shutter speed. For me its all about the learning experiance and trying new approaches. I do like waterfalls and fine getting a shot that works well can be a challenge. Cheers JIM

05-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice, Jim - as always. I'm especially taken with the lake shot.

Jer
05-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice shots Jim. Waterfalls are defintiely "it".
05-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Nice shots Jim. Waterfalls are defintiely "it".
QuoteQuote:
Very nice, Jim - as always. I'm especially taken with the lake shot.

Jer
Thank you Norm and Jer. Always appreciate when you take the the time to comment on my hobby. JIM
05-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

very nice shots, I like #1 in particular,

cheers
05-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
very nice shots, I like #1 in particular,

cheers
Thank you Cee Cee
05-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice to see some more nature shots from you again Jim.
Thanks for sharing these fine scenes.
05-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always enjoy your photos, Jim, which I find inspiring and excellent depictions of the wild landscape. Your eye for details -- the banded rock, the dappled ripples, the lush moss -- these are the characteristics that make your photos stand out so beautifully.
05-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Nice to see some more nature shots from you again Jim.
Thanks for sharing these fine scenes
Thank you Ash. I just can not get enough of the local parks. So much more to see ahead. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I always enjoy your photos, Jim, which I find inspiring and excellent depictions of the wild landscape. Your eye for details -- the banded rock, the dappled ripples, the lush moss -- these are the characteristics that make your photos stand out so beautifully
Thank you for your kind words Tamie. JIM