Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Macro - Pine Cone with Frost
Lens: DA35 Macro Limited Camera: K5 Photo Location: Cranbrook, BC, Canada ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Mr_Canuck, 05-07-2012, 08:09 PM

It's now spring but I was looking through photos from February and this frosty pine bough showed up and I thought I'd share it. The needles were almost a foot long, and the tree about 100 feet tall. The sugary coating on the cone is appealing to me, like you could pour some milk on it and eat it with a spoon. Or maybe not.

I cropped it just a little in the top left to move the cone off centre a little more. Some sharpening and curves for added contrast and that's about it. It was a warmly lit morning shot so lots of nice colour already.

I've yet to own a long macro like 100mm or more. I've been drawn to 50's and now the 35 because I haven't gotten into the tripod habit and it is pretty realistic to hand hold a lot of shots with the shorter lens. I really like the 35 as it's a very versatile lens and a lovely size.

Maybe this will be my Christmas card next winter.

Last edited by Mr_Canuck; 05-07-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Views: 641
05-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I might brighten it up a little, but that could also be my monitor.
Gives me chills just looking at it - I'm not ready for winter to come again so soon.
05-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Mr_Canuck

I hear you. Even between my external monitor and my laptop there's some difference in contrast even though I have a calibrator. But you're probably right to punch it up a bit.