Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Natural Bridge
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Field, British Columbia 
Posted By: daacon, 05-08-2012, 06:56 AM

After we left Lake Louise and since Moraine Lake road was closed we headed to our furthest western point on this trip, Field , BC, Yoho National Park. This is the Natural Bridge. Parks Canada had it 'closed' as well , however it's a very short walk from the road and all that closed meant is the place you normally park was chained off. So we parked on the shoulder off we went.

Here is the Natural Bridge - a rock formation bridging over the icy waters of the Kicking Horse River

The water was very fast and cold (I believe the average temps are 3 degrees Celsius - glacier fed river as most mountain rivers are here) I like the combination of new spring growth, snow scattered throughout and of course the mountains in the background

This is looking down stream - fresh air, Mountain views and Rivers - great way to spend the day.

Views: 1,799
05-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Daacon,
You are a master of shutter speed. Beautiful shots of a beautiful location. They are all spot on, I can't find a favorite.
05-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simply beautiful - great work. (and another place to add to my bucket list!)
05-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another fine set - I remember sampling that water - wasn't the best thing to do to my lung as it was really cold.

05-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man that is just beautiful. the water is so pure there I can almost taste it. All great shots, I have got to get out of the desert.
05-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yoho is my favourite park. The Iceline Trail is probably one of the most magnificent 13k walk you can take anywhere in the world. And I've hiked up and camped at the little Yoho campground many times. The Sierra club even has a cabin up there you can rent, for those of you opposed to real camping. I washed my hair in that water once. I got it wet OK, but I got an "Ice Cream headache" washing the soap out. Lesson learned. My daughter went swimming right in front of the glacier. Her lips turned purple but she never admitted she was cold. I have lot's of memories from that part of the world.

Oh ya, and that water will cool your beer in 5 minutes, right from warm. The combination of cold temperature and water speed make it the perfect beer fridge. Don't walk away from it. "Beer hunters" will snatch your un-attended brews. I've seen them patrolling the shorelines near campgrounds at night with flash lights.
05-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

its a very nice series. How I wish I could be there to enjoy the scenery and atmosphere. lovely nature and well captured.

marcus

05-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Love the area Dave. Beautiful images. JIM
05-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Fantastic work, Dave! This is such a beautiful place. I love the water motion you captured. All the shots are splendid, but that last one is a stunner!!!
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is one fine series, Dave. Not a shot in the bunch that doesn't work nicely.

Jer
05-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reed_page Quote
Daacon,
You are a master of shutter speed. Beautiful shots of a beautiful location. They are all spot on, I can't find a favorite.
Thanks reed_page - ha hardly a master but learned a few tricks thanks for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Simply beautiful - great work. (and another place to add to my bucket list!)
Thanks paulh - I know what you mean this forum is full of bucket list places

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
another fine set - I remember sampling that water - wasn't the best thing to do to my lung as it was really cold.
Thanks Marc - yep water cold enough that if you jumped in , it brings a new meaning to the word 'shrinkage'

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Man that is just beautiful. the water is so pure there I can almost taste it. All great shots, I have got to get out of the desert.
Thanks Bob - yeah it definitively not Desert area . The weather should be breaking country wide so you can expand your travels
05-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Yoho is my favourite park. The Iceline Trail is probably one of the most magnificent 13k walk you can take anywhere in the world. And I've hiked up and camped at the little Yoho campground many times. The Sierra club even has a cabin up there you can rent, for those of you opposed to real camping. I washed my hair in that water once. I got it wet OK, but I got an "Ice Cream headache" washing the soap out. Lesson learned. My daughter went swimming right in front of the glacier. Her lips turned purple but she never admitted she was cold. I have lot's of memories from that part of the world.

Oh ya, and that water will cool your beer in 5 minutes, right from warm. The combination of cold temperature and water speed make it the perfect beer fridge. Don't walk away from it. "Beer hunters" will snatch your un-attended brews. I've seen them patrolling the shorelines near campgrounds at night with flash lights.
Thanks Norm sounds like you are pretty familiar with the place. I'll have to check out that Iceline Trail - thanks for the info. I have been in the water with a wet suit - not a whole lot of protection and still took my breath away.

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
its a very nice series. How I wish I could be there to enjoy the scenery and atmosphere. lovely nature and well captured.
marcus
Thanks marcus - appreciate the kinds words.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Love the area Dave. Beautiful images. JIM
Thanks Jim it's just as we left it in September

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Fantastic work, Dave! This is such a beautiful place. I love the water motion you captured. All the shots are splendid, but that last one is a stunner!!!
Thanks loco I don't have a favorite but that one I really like as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
This is one fine series, Dave. Not a shot in the bunch that doesn't work nicely.
Jer
Thanks Jer - it was a great time being there as well.
05-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't know what it is but Dave it makes me want to put down my red solo cup and reach for a Rolling rock" beer.--charliezap
05-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Lovely shots of a dramatic landscape! Very interesting perspectives on two three and four. Some of these could be here, except for the mountain range in the background! Nice backdrop
05-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I don't know what it is but Dave it makes me want to put down my red solo cup and reach for a Rolling rock" beer.--charliezap
Thanks Charile hey you can pour that Beer in your Red Solo Cup

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Lovely shots of a dramatic landscape! Very interesting perspectives on two three and four. Some of these could be here, except for the mountain range in the background! Nice backdrop
Thanks Tess , I have to go quite a ways to get these kind of river and mountain shots (to this place maybe a 5 hour drive) but it's so worth it.