Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread

the Reenactment
Posted By: Bob Harris, 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM

One of the most beautiful states we have visited and lots to do and so much history in Virginia. This photo is from the Battle of Chancellorsville that we attended, the actors put their heart and soul into their work. A real enjoyable experience and a must see when visiting.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Views: 1,638
05-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
sorry bob, just couldn't resist.

Actually I liked the shot. I have been looking at a lot of old B&W shots lately, most taken in the late 1920's through to about 1950 on 120 roll film, and has me thinking I shoud either do some more B&W film (its been a year or so) or convert some color shots to B&W.
I think it would be interesting to scan our old b/w's and with the editing programs we have now, we could turn out some great photos. Glad you like the shot, I tried to make it realistic as possible.

05-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I've been to that battlefield on several occasions but never for a reenactment. I should go some time! Glad you enjoyed your time here!
We have been back there 3 times, I told Terri, next time we go all the way east again, we will stay in Virginia for good. Thanks Lori, yes you should go just for the experience, and take some photos to share too.
05-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
We have been back there 3 times, I told Terri, next time we go all the way east again, we will stay in Virginia for good. Thanks Lori, yes you should go just for the experience, and take some photos to share too.
LOL!! I just realized I mistakenly picked the "mad" smiley. Didn't mean to be mad! We'd love to have you here, Bob!!
05-12-2012, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
LOL!! I just realized I mistakenly picked the "mad" smiley. Didn't mean to be mad! We'd love to have you here, Bob!!
Lori, I get that "mad smile" all of the time from Terri thanks Bob

05-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I have philosophical objections to re-fighting long-ago wars, but it's an interesting shot. I'll suggest that for a little more verisimilitude, it's fun to replicate the photographic technology of the era. This is one of my manias: shooting digital to emulate the period look. B&W, sepia-toning, vignetting, just aren't enough for me. Two important factors: lens, and tonality.

USA Civil War-era emulsions were only sensitive to actinic (UV-Violet-Blue) light. Modern emulsions and sensors just don't 'see' the same way. The tonalities are very different. And modern lenses are corrected in ways that glass of that era wasn't. This can't really be finessed in digital PP.

I first got the Matthew Brady Look shooting Kodalith film (pushed in development) in an 1934 German Kodak Retina folder, the first 135 camera, with a Schneider 50/3.5 triplet lens. The film is orthochromatic (only sensitive in the UV-Violet-Blue-Green range). The lens was simple. I get a similar look with old preset lenses, or with projector lenses with Petzval Portrait-type optics, using a light Blue or Blue-Violet CC filter for its limited sensitivity.

I'm not criticizing the picture. I'm just saying that reenactment photos will look more 'authentic' when a period approach is taken. Cheers!

NOTE: I was in high school in 1966 and ran across a teaching magazine with a great story on newly-discovered Matthew Brady combat photos. The glass plates had been hand-tinted by Brady's crew! Yes, the USA Civil War in color! IIRC the colors were fairly muted, more pastel than Kodachrome. Those are the images that linger in my mind.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-13-2012 at 01:51 AM.
05-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I have philosophical objections to re-fighting long-ago wars, but it's an interesting shot. I'll suggest that for a little more verisimilitude, it's fun to replicate the photographic technology of the era. This is one of my manias: shooting digital to emulate the period look. B&W, sepia-toning, vignetting, just aren't enough for me. Two important factors: lens, and tonality.

USA Civil War-era emulsions were only sensitive to actinic (UV-Violet-Blue) light. Modern emulsions and sensors just don't 'see' the same way. The tonalities are very different. And modern lenses are corrected in ways that glass of that era wasn't. This can't really be finessed in digital PP.

I first got the Matthew Brady Look shooting Kodalith film (pushed in development) in an 1934 German Kodak Retina folder, the first 135 camera, with a Schneider 50/3.5 triplet lens. The film is orthochromatic (only sensitive in the UV-Violet-Blue-Green range). The lens was simple. I get a similar look with old preset lenses, or with projector lenses with Petzval Portrait-type optics, using a light Blue or Blue-Violet CC filter for its limited sensitivity.

I'm not criticizing the picture. I'm just saying that reenactment photos will look more 'authentic' when a period approach is taken. Cheers!

NOTE: I was in high school in 1966 and ran across a teaching magazine with a great story on newly-discovered Matthew Brady combat photos. The glass plates had been hand-tinted by Brady's crew! Yes, the USA Civil War in color! IIRC the colors were fairly muted, more pastel than Kodachrome. Those are the images that linger in my mind.
Man, I was just glad to take the photo, let alone go to the extent you have gone. Rico, I would love to see some of your photographs using your equipment. Very interesting information, I didn't know any of this equipment was available. thanks Bob
05-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Man, I was just glad to take the photo, let alone go to the extent you have gone. Rico, I would love to see some of your photographs using your equipment. Very interesting information, I didn't know any of this equipment was available. thanks Bob
I'm having severe computer problems (writing this on a backup mini-notebook now) so any picture display will have to wait. Actinic tonality can be approximated with a Blue or Magenta digital filter (with some brightness and contrast tweaks) in RAW development and/or PP. Optics are a bit more subtle. Sometimes I'm just lazy, and slap a Light-Blue or Blue-Violet filter onto an AF lens. Sometimes I go whole-hog and whip out a preset or older prime, or an old projector lens. Depends on the mood of the day, eh?

My preferred 'period' lenses:

* W-Komura 35/2.5 (2-ring preset, 10 iris blades)
* Meyer Primagon 35/4.5 (pre-preset, 10 blades)
* CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (1-ring preset, 12 blades)
* Isco Westar 100/4.5 (pre-preset, 10 blades)
* GoldE Anastigmat 127/3.5 (projector, no iris)
* Hanimar Preset 135/3.5 (2-ring preset, 13 blades)

But lots of old stuff works fine!

Last edited by RioRico; 05-13-2012 at 01:11 PM.