Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sometimes Plugins are a good thing
Lens: DA 12-24 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Emerald Lake, BC ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: daacon, 05-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Here is a picture I took at Emerald Lake (facing the other side) couple of weeks ago. I did not like the original so much so I brought it over to Topaz Adjust and I was quite pleased with the end result. This saved a picture and in fact I may even get it printed.

Views: 1,057
05-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful Dave! I understand why you're happy with this one! I would!
05-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Dave, long time no talk! Great shot and I really like the processing. Hard to tell from a web sized image but is there a bit of Magenta in the clouds? If so, see if it's possible to minimize that but this one would make a great print!
05-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great work

05-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Wonderful Dave! I understand why you're happy with this one! I would!
Thanks Rense I appreciate you stopping by to comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Hey Dave, long time no talk! Great shot and I really like the processing. Hard to tell from a web sized image but is there a bit of Magenta in the clouds? If so, see if it's possible to minimize that but this one would make a great print!
Peter ! How's my favorite spud Island man ? Wow really long time no hear from , hope you are enticing the light and have as many weddings booked as there are days in the oh so short Canadian summers Still need to make it out there , have not been on the Island since the late 70's early 80's. I am not sure about the magenta , I have my color expert (wife) check it out , thanks for stopping by hope all is well.

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Great work
Thanks Pat , to me it looks like a typical winter (albeit it was spring) Mountain shot that just screams 'fresh' would make a great backdrop for a Coors commercial methinks.
05-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a very cool and unique look, Dave! I really like it!
05-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The subtle color look is great and I really like the mood of the shot Dave.--charliezap
05-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Dave, looks like you have great lighting which helps for sure. Print it bud! JIM

05-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
MSL
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a bit of purple in the clouds, but it is subtle and blends in well with the rest of the pics. I'm curious to see where you started from even if that means showing less than your best work.

Certainly competes well with all the other stunning pictures you've shown us lately.
05-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
That is a very cool and unique look, Dave! I really like it!
Thanks Lori I appreciate the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
The subtle color look is great and I really like the mood of the shot Dave.--charliezap
Thanks Charlie I do like the mood of this one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Dave, looks like you have great lighting which helps for sure. Print it bud! JIM
Thanks Jim the light was not bad for being around 03:30 pm ...

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
There is a bit of purple in the clouds, but it is subtle and blends in well with the rest of the pics. I'm curious to see where you started from even if that means showing less than your best work.
Certainly competes well with all the other stunning pictures you've shown us lately.
Thanks Marc - I really hope I have yet to do my best work (at least that is what I keep telling myslef ) I have no problem with your request so here ya go ...

What I brought into Topaz Adjust (some LR adjustments)

And here the original shot in Raw convereted to JPG in LR without any adjustments
05-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
MSL
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Dave. This really shows what is possible when playing with images in different software packages. Everything I have now is of the free variety, and while very useful, likely doesn't have the functionality of paid programs. Someday... once I get past LBA.

The final image is really quite different in mood from where you started. It looks like fresh snow on the trees because of their whitish tint. On the flip side it does seem that the purple in the clouds was added by Topaz, so you may want to try tweaking the dials a little more ... or not, as the final image you have now is certainly a keeper.
05-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #12

very well done, what a huge chance to the originals
05-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Gorgeous Dave! Do print it! Plug-ins are indeed valuable, and they often bring out what we see in our minds but just can't quite get with our own skills in regular processing.
I do hear those debates that a photo should be "natural" and right out of the camera "print ready" ......never bought that argument myself, and if I did I would still be waiting for my first printable shot!

Best Regards!
05-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

This is why you shoot in Raw. So much there that you don't see. Nicely done Dave. Have you upgraded to Lightroom 4. If not it is worht the upgrade. JIMBO
05-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ents
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Thanks Dave. This really shows what is possible when playing with images in different software packages. Everything I have now is of the free variety, and while very useful, likely doesn't have the functionality of paid programs. Someday... once I get past LBA.

The final image is really quite different in mood from where you started. It looks like fresh snow on the trees because of their whitish tint. On the flip side it does seem that the purple in the clouds was added by Topaz, so you may want to try tweaking the dials a little more ... or not, as the final image you have now is certainly a keeper.
Thanks Marc yes PP can make a difference but there are a plethora of very good free ones , I think the biggest difference the paid ones offer is ease of use. Oh and good luck with that LBA cure - if you find it bottle it and sell it here , you'll be infamous

QuoteOriginally posted by iFoto Quote
very well done, what a huge chance to the originals
Thanks iFoto appreciate the comments

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Gorgeous Dave! Do print it! Plug-ins are indeed valuable, and they often bring out what we see in our minds but just can't quite get with our own skills in regular processing.
I do hear those debates that a photo should be "natural" and right out of the camera "print ready" ......never bought that argument myself, and if I did I would still be waiting for my first printable shot!
Best Regards!
Thanks Rupert I make an en-devour to capture it as good as I can in the camera , however like you I have no problem using software to enhance the shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
This is why you shoot in Raw. So much there that you don't see. Nicely done Dave. Have you upgraded to Lightroom 4. If not it is worht the upgrade. JIMBO
Thanks Jim I agree whole heartily about shooting raw and yes I took advantage of the $79.00 upgrade shortly after LR4 came out - I also concur it was a worthwhile upgrade.