Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My grandson - need C&C
Posted By: cardinal43, 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM

This is Keegan, my 15 month old grandson. He was visiting me last week and I took this picture. As you can see, while the subject is beautiful (), the picture needs some big time help. I don't know if the exif is attached (not sure how to do that), but the particulars are: Av, 1/60, ev = 0, Iso 200, w/b = manual(??). I think this is a w/b issue. It was taken in my dining room under recessed lights. I am definitely open for any and all comments. My camera is the K100D with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Thanks,

Last edited by cardinal43; 02-23-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Views: 2,556
01-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Changed white balance in Picasa, let me know what you think..Not perfect, but took me about 2 secs to adjust , hehe

01-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, the main problem here is the WB, there is a very strong blue color cast.

I dont know if you want tips for future photos or to save this one.

To save this one some PP is required, I dont know what kind of software you have available. Shooting RAW is better than shooting jpeg for white balance because you can set the WB after the shot is taken. It can be corrected in jpegs too though.

Some adjustment with levels or curves will help here. Auto levels and auto curves do a deent job at it, manually reducing the blue can be an option too.
01-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you gentlemen. I will keep it and do some playing. I have Adobe Elements 5, Picasa, FastStone Viewer, among others. I have 4 others with the "blue" tone, so I plan to work on them.

Andreas: I have never shot in raw. I think I might dabble with that a bit. So much to learn, so little time.

01-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
and
Veteran Member

Adobe elements has both auto color and auto levels that you can try out. also in full edit mode you can access curves and reduce the blue curve, but thats a bit more advanced.

Also check your camera wb settings and make sure its not still stuck in manual or something else than auto.

Ill give you a general kids tip as well, imo its better if you get the lens more down to the kids eye level instead of you standing up and aiming the camera down, this catches the expression of the kid better as well.
01-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

cardinal - it looks to me like you maybe had the white balance set for tungsten (regular bulb) light on the cam... i usually take a quick test shot in the room before i start shooting and then adjust the white balance on cam for the rest of the pics... when you're outdoors it usually doesn't matter and you can just leave it on auto hope that helps!!
01-18-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Forum Member

You probably set your white balance when not using the flash. If you use the flash you need to set the white balance again.

The white balance can be changed in camera to any picture already taken by using one of the digital filters. Just go into the fn menu during playback and hit < then select color. Make the adjustment with the thumb wheel and save it as a new picture. It's not perfect but pretty close.

As Andreas said, Picasa works well too.

Last edited by prof68; 01-18-2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added comment
01-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I'd also like suggest

that, if you're able, to get down to eye level with the child.