Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Today's Zoo Shots
Posted By: Adam, 12-28-2006, 09:10 PM

I took out my new FA* 24mm out for a test drive today, as well as the DA 50-200 and FA* 300mm.

The full gallery can be found below. Enjoy!

Mosphotos.com Gallery- 25 Photos

SMC Pentax-FA* 300mm

SMC Pentax FA* 24mm

SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm

Views: 1,700
12-28-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These were taken where?
Great selection of subjects.
I like 'duck traffic' #2 but I wish the clouds were a little more defined behind the taller trees.
12-28-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks Mo. I just love the Fa* 24mm delivering that colour magic there. Such a rich colour and vividness of the image (2nd pic). Now I want to start hunting down that lens as well. (Joele told me not to get it because it is soft wide open; but the colour is just amazing!)

Fa*300 is an amazing lens and your shot reveals great detail and composition. Well deserved in your hand

12-28-2006, 11:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice!
The middle one's the closest to my style but I like them all.

I haven't been to a Zoo since I was a kid, I'm starting to think that I should see what they're like again.

12-29-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Adam I like all of them and I do agree with Clarence about the clouds being a little more defined in your 2nd shot. I think if you could have gotten a bit more definition this picture would have popped. i hope you don't mind I did copy your #2 picture to play with in photoshop a bit I wanted to play with the sky's tonal definition and color. Before I would post it you would get a copy in a pm.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-29-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Adam I like all of them and I do agree with Clarence about the clouds being a little more defined in your 2nd shot. I think if you could have gotten a bit more definition this picture would have popped. i hope you don't mind I did copy your #2 picture to play with in photoshop a bit I wanted to play with the sky's tonal definition and color. Before I would post it you would get a copy in a pm.

Good Shooting.
Go ahead and post whatever you come up with. I don't go nuts when someone reposts my pics

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Thanks Mo. I just love the Fa* 24mm delivering that colour magic there. Such a rich colour and vividness of the image (2nd pic). Now I want to start hunting down that lens as well. (Joele told me not to get it because it is soft wide open; but the colour is just amazing!)

Fa*300 is an amazing lens and your shot reveals great detail and composition. Well deserved in your hand
The 24mm is soft wide-open, but you'll never be shooting landscape at F2, and you just can't beat the colors. If you ever do shoot wide-open, the soft effect just makes your photo better, if anything.

I took similar shots with the 50-200mm, and the difference in color was significant. I had to add a big levels adjustment to get the pic to match up to the Fa*'s.

Also, here's a close-up wide-open with the FA*: Motec Photo Gallery. I'll leave it up to you to judge the softness

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
These were taken where?
Great selection of subjects.
I like 'duck traffic' #2 but I wish the clouds were a little more defined behind the taller trees.
Phx Zoo. Let's see what David has for us

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-29-2006, 12:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, Mo. I had checked out your Fa24 photos. The colour is definitely great. No doubt about it. Tad soft in the centre image but it is not bleeding obvious. You are right that the images work out well even centre softness could be seen.

Now I gonna start looking for another lens on my long list...

12-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
Inactive Account

OK Here it is, Now mind you I didn't have the RAW file to work with and photoshop is really limited to doing much with JPEG. But I've tried many diffeernt ways and finally I liked this one. I tried staying with the natural scene. I really wish I had the RAW or the TIFF file to play with.

Good Shooting.
12-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Is that purple fringeing in the trees at back near centre after colour enhancement?
12-29-2006, 03:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots Mo, thanks!

NaCl(Phoenix looks warm)H2O
12-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Is that purple fringing in the trees at back near centre after colour enhancement?
Since I'm the one responsible for this I would have to say yes. But again I would really liked to have the RAW file or a TIFF of this shot to really get a chance to work with the entire file. I guess when I gave more detail to the clouds and a little color The fringing happened as a halo (Dam I didn't take notice) I've got to shake this cold Can't seem to pay attention. Well anyway Adam I gave it a try. I would say the original is better.

Good Shooting.
12-29-2006, 07:15 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Since I'm the one responsible for this I would have to say yes. But again I would really liked to have the RAW file or a TIFF of this shot to really get a chance to work with the entire file. I guess when I gave more detail to the clouds and a little color The fringing happened as a halo (Dam I didn't take notice) I've got to shake this cold Can't seem to pay attention. Well anyway Adam I gave it a try. I would say the original is better.

Good Shooting.
I still like your edit, though Definitely not what I usually do, but I guess I still have some room for improvement. Thanks for sharing!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: