Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Local River w/ DA*60-250 (7 pics)
Lens: DA*60-250 Camera: K5 Photo Location: MA 
Posted By: LFLee, 05-19-2012, 06:26 PM

I usually wouldn't use long lens for landscape shots... but want to try to give myself a different perspective to look at landscape. Have seen people use long lens for landscape and those 'compression' effect is really nice.
Some pics taken at nearby river (Mill River and surrounding area in MA) here:

I think I need more practice for framing at the long end. Comments welcome!

Lee
Views: 949
05-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I understand your last comment correctly then I agree with it. On the shots where you are shooting a long distance, the effect works. Where you are shooting things that are already pretty close together, like the last shot, it doesn't work as well.
05-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
If I understand your last comment correctly then I agree with it. On the shots where you are shooting a long distance, the effect works. Where you are shooting things that are already pretty close together, like the last shot, it doesn't work as well.
Thanks for the comment.

Yes I guess that one is certainly too close to each other, and the focal length is 60mm on the last one.
Is pretty tricky - I want large aperture so I could get nice bokeh, but also want long exposure so i could blur the water (.... and don't have a neutral density filter!).

But I think this lens is sharp wide open (though not so wide at f4...).
CA is quite strong on this one though.
05-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I more or less agree with Marc, it's a great lens and most of the water shots are excellent.

05-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave for the comments!
05-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I like the vignetting effect and nicely saturated greens you are getting!
05-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think maybe you're not getting the most in terms of the compression effect because you seem to be shooting in pretty close quarters.

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
ut also want long exposure so i could blur the water
I'm rather a pita about this but I'm always mystified by this thing about blurring the water. I understand that it's often unavoidable, given the lighting conditions, but I don't get why anyone would go out of their way to create the blur.

05-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I like the vignetting effect and nicely saturated greens you are getting!
Thanks for the kind words! It was very shady.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I think maybe you're not getting the most in terms of the compression effect because you seem to be shooting in pretty close quarters.

I'm rather a pita about this but I'm always mystified by this thing about blurring the water. I understand that it's often unavoidable, given the lighting conditions, but I don't get why anyone would go out of their way to create the blur.
Hm... probably because the scene is actually quite boring and nothing spectacular without this effect? was trying to create something out of nothing.
05-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #9

Hello, I love the lighting and the atmospheric captures, good eye.
This might sound strange, but there is too much green, in the shadows that is.
I hope you don't mind, I have adjusted a few examples and hope you agree that by getting rid of the green cast,
three is actually more color contrast, and the other primaries start to look cleaner.

Using PS, the LEVELS command and set neutral gray point by clicking around any perceived gray areas with the
eye dropper tool. In other software, reducing the midpoint level in the Green Channel will do it and then restore levels
in the RGB channel afterwards.
Attached Images