05-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice portrait.
05-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You want criticism - I'll work hard and say the hot spot/highlight in the bottom right corner. But really this is just a great shot that needs little or no improvement.

05-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's a beautiful shot....but...what is her name? What is her context? It's the old question of appropriating another's image for aesthetic purposes and what are the ethics involved.
I have no problem with street shooting but if the relationship with you had been acknowledged to the point of her wondering whether to smile or not was there an opportunity to discover enough to make the shot 'hers' as well?
I have no criticism of the photo and none really of the process of taking it. But I have questions. Shots like this always make me want to know about the person. At least her name - and maybe some of the backstory.
Just a reflection.
05-21-2012, 12:56 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jessesdad Quote
It's a beautiful shot....but...what is her name? What is her context? It's the old question of appropriating another's image for aesthetic purposes and what are the ethics involved...............
@Jessesdad, I understand where your question is coming from. Since I hardly shoot, I dont really qualify to comment on street photography, however I observed that people generally don't mind as long as I am not intruding their privacy & they feel that you are genuine. It's even easier if you can make them comfortable by smiling or light talking without getting into personal details (in fact often it's not even advisable to get into personal details).

I usually shoot with small lenses so candid is generally out of question. I always get noticed so I have to take a call whether to shoot or not to shoot. Most of the time I shoot pictures first and talk to them later, for example, "would you like to see your picture", & usually they are happy to see their picture on LCD. Some even asks for a print which I get them if possible. I am of the camp that prefers to delete pics if objected Vs not taking at all or asking. What is right what is wrong it highly debated already but I usually take middle ground. To give you some examples,

In this particular case (picture in original post), she is a tea seller on country side. I stopped by to have a cup of tea and since I was carrying my camera, I just took a picture of her. She was confused and happy at the same time, no one took her picture before, may be not in ages. She was feeling shy, so I requested her to look at me and smile. Some ladies around her started laughing and they also helped me by asking her to smile, eventually she did. She had a lovelier smile looking at her pic in LCD which I couldn't capture, overall I got to know someone without even getting to know any personal details.

Here is another example, he is a fruit seller in Ladakh. When I visited his shop, he took me as a customer and he immediately stubbed his cigarette. I asked him if I can shoot his pic, he agreed, so I asked him to give me the same pose when I first saw him smoking

Now for this picture, I had to take permission from her mom

And this guy was really not worried about what I am doing, so no question of any interactions, shot the pic and moved without speaking even a single word.

She is a dry fruit seller, can you see her expression, she was laughing and saying, you are just clicking my pics but not buying anything - bought some wallnuts from her. It was not for picture which I already got, but just to make her happy.

Often I come across people who really wants me to shoot their pics, here are two:

Overall I feel that there are no fixed rules here, as long as you are balanced and not violating their privacy or not degrading them anyway, you will be fine. Shooting people has helped me connect better with human beings without too many stories built around them. So far only only bad experience was at NYC airport where I was asked to delete all the pics when I was taking pictures outside, even after showing all my non-photography credentials, so streets are much safer

Last edited by yusuf; 05-21-2012 at 01:01 AM.
05-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Appreciate the reply and the background on the pics. You shoot some beautiful images and it's good to hear about your approach. Many thanks. Steve

05-21-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done with these candid portraits yusuf. Thanks for sharing.
05-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You have a very fine hand in "street photography" and I hope you will continue and continue sharing your photos with us.
05-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Good shots all I enjoyed these slice of life shots.
05-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all for nice words.
05-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
Yusuf, a great series of portraits and I love all of them. Thanks for sharing.

Guna
05-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #13

Wonderful portraits, Yusuf! The color palette on a "bearded man" is so good.
05-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #14

Amazing shots, you have a wonderful eye.
05-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great shots! I enjoyed them all....but in particular the kids looking in the window. Some excellent work here, keep at it, they are very enjoyable viewing!

Regards!