Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
Alberta Pelicans - Yes the title is correct
Posted By: daacon, 05-20-2012, 05:50 AM

The first time I saw these , I thought holy crap the Pelican's GPS was fried. We are approximately 1,000 miles from an ocean ! The most I had ever seen here before was less than 10. Last night I was rewarded with a group of 19 swimming about 'herding fish' from what I can determine. There were another 10 or so on the little Island (first shot). So it's legit. these guys come back here every year and then in early fall leave for Mexico or Florida. It was very cool to see these guys in the prairies.

What really surprises me is this is a local wetlands. It's not very big or very deep. I did not think it even had any fish, however it must have some minnows as these guys were dipping their beaks for something. There is an Alberta population and most are on lakes where there is real fish. From what I have read , they will fly up to 70km from their nesting grounds to go to their favorite eating areas (and this has to be one of them).

Pelicans are often seen feeding in the same area as double-crested cormorants (and there are few of them here as well). When cormorants dive, they may flush small fish toward the surface to become easy targets for waiting pelicans. A group of pelicans may even rob a cormorant of fish it has just brought up from deep water.

These are not the diving kind I have seen in Mexico or Costa Rica , they simply dip their beaks which can hold up to 20 Liters of water. (1 US gallon is about 3.8 liters)

Click on image for larger view

The clan

I see food !

Get at it .. there's not much here

Follow me I know where there is more

Exit scene -

Views: 1,815
05-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Great series Dave. I am a little curious as to where you took your pictures, because I would like to go out there sometime. So if you do not mind giving a little driving directions?

05-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Great imaghes. I am still coming oiut in June<> have a wedding to attend on the 16th and thenstaying over the weekend. Hope we can hook up. JIM
05-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
We get these Pelicans here in Denver. At certain times of the year in certain specific spots, they can reliably be found. Saw a group just a couple weeks ago.
Thanks vonBaloney - from what I have read they are creatures of habbit, so once they find a place they like the always return.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Great photo's Dave. Almost every shot seems to show some sort of communal behavior!
Thanks Fires - it is , when food is scarce they will float in a circle to try and stir the fish up.

QuoteOriginally posted by basquist02 Quote
Great series Dave. I am a little curious as to where you took your pictures, because I would like to go out there sometime. So if you do not mind giving a little driving directions?
Thanks basquit02 - it's about 5 minute walk from my place ok ok you want something more specific haha I will send you a PM.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Great imaghes. I am still coming oiut in June<> have a wedding to attend on the 16th and thenstaying over the weekend. Hope we can hook up. JIM
Thanks Jim sounds good not plans yet keep me in the loop.