Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
a step in the right direction....
Posted By: distorted_vision, 01-18-2008, 06:08 PM

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Good grief - I've created a monster!

I am really glad you are going to make some positive steps towards your dream; if my rant was the impetus that pushed you over the edge, it is something I can live with. You're a sensible lad so hopefully you won't go and do anything rash - like quit your day job right away. You will obviously need an income to sustain life whilst you go for your dream.

My thoughts on this are such; you have a natural talent and you really love to show it off - that is great! Accolades from friends, family and co-workers is very addictive - once you get a few compliments you will strive to please them over and over again. But you need something to accompany the raw talent you are exhibiting; you need accreditation. Check out local colleges and night schools and sign up for basic then advanced credited courses in photography. You've got a natural gift that needs to be nurtured and developed into a art form. The sad reality is that most 'professional' photographers need a second job to make ends meet - photography just doesn't pay much. Now, don't let that discourage you from trying. There are successful, rich and happy photographers in this world, and you will be one of them someday. Set up short term and long term goals for yourself. Don't be discouraged by any setbacks, learn from your mistakes and press forward.

If you require further positive affirmations, I am right here.
thanks so much mate.. means alot to me

i will certainly not leave my day job anytime soon..
the last few days i have kik started my future tho.. i had friends and family go thorugh my photos and select their favourites. i then narrowed those photos down to 100 shots and got them printed in 5x4. then i rung around some local photo frame wholesalers and cracked a deal with 500 frames. i bought some backing boards and i have centred the photos in them and framed them up.. so far i have framed 34 of them..
i looked in the local paper fro craft markets etc, and i have booked a stall at one of the locakl markets for next weekend. the stall costs $45 a day for 2 days.. im going to set up stall and see what happens..!

heres a photo i just took of one of my framed shots.. what do you guys think... im going through prices at the moment... i am leaning towards $15 each or 2 for $25? is that too much or too little in your honest oppinion..

im hoping that my photos will appeal to a wide range of people.. as i dont have one dominant style... it varies dramatically which i think is probably a good thing right?!

Last edited by distorted_vision; 01-18-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Views: 3,656
01-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Inactive Account

This is a great idea! It's so nice to see your works in such beautiful frames. Just wait until you see all 500! And, hopefully it will be a dandy money making venture. Best of luck to you!!
01-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
This is a great idea! It's so nice to see your works in such beautiful frames. Just wait until you see all 500! And, hopefully it will be a dandy money making venture. Best of luck to you!!
thanks alot mate yeh, 500 frames is a lot.. i have 4 HUGE boxes full of them... hopefully i will need to buy more soon, but fingers crossed,.. i really have no idea how it will go. so time shall tell..
01-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kev, that's great. The pics look pretty good in the frames and hopefully you'll sell a bunch. If you are making a decent amount at 2x25, then that sounds good and affordable. I might try $20 per and 2x35.00 at first and drop the price if nothing moves as quickly as you hope. Always easier to drop a price than try to raise it. Good luck with it.

You got some good advice from Jeff above, don't know what the context was but good advice non the less

01-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Grab for the wallets with both hands !

Very important to emphasize the "capital" in your capital idea. Do not be afraid to get some value for your work. People pay more for rarity and one of a kind items than they do for mass produced common items (it must be human competition). Play up the unique, one of a kind, limited production, personally signed by the artist, art pieces. I approve of the frames you have chosen, solid , with a quality look. It would be neat if you have a short story or description on the back of each picture.
Also remember that stalls in market can be a word of mouth affair. It may take a few weekends to get the word around.

Good Luck,
01-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Kev, that's great. The pics look pretty good in the frames and hopefully you'll sell a bunch. If you are making a decent amount at 2x25, then that sounds good and affordable. I might try $20 per and 2x35.00 at first and drop the price if nothing moves as quickly as you hope. Always easier to drop a price than try to raise it. Good luck with it.

You got some good advice from Jeff above, don't know what the context was but good advice non the less
thanks mate.. i think i will take you up on the suggestion of $20 and 2 for $35.. lets see what happens!!
01-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
Very important to emphasize the "capital" in your capital idea. Do not be afraid to get some value for your work. People pay more for rarity and one of a kind items than they do for mass produced common items (it must be human competition). Play up the unique, one of a kind, limited production, personally signed by the artist, art pieces. I approve of the frames you have chosen, solid , with a quality look. It would be neat if you have a short story or description on the back of each picture.
Also remember that stalls in market can be a word of mouth affair. It may take a few weekends to get the word around.

Good Luck,
hey mate, i really appreciate youre feedback.. i understand what u are saying and i agree.
a short story is a great idea.. i can write in calligraphy, so i might give it a try and see what i can come up with...

im in the middle of talking to a sticker printing company. and i am organising some stickers to adhere to the back of the frames with my name and contact details for future referance etc.. word spreads fast sometimes, so i really want to make sure i make a good 1st impression..

my friend has his own web hosting buisness and he is in the middle of making a gallery based website for me, which people will be able to purchase online eventually. i am applying for a ABN (aust buiness number) next week , so i will be a registered etc..

01-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Sounds like you are off to the races! The picture sale at the Craft Fair sounds like a good way to kick start your new career.

My son's GF is a damn fine artist. Attempting to make a few bucks for Christmas she made a ton of jewelry - all of her own design and made by hand. She worked very hard at making the items and also display cases to show off the stuff. Where am I going with this, you ask? She lined up to show at several craft fairs over the course of 6 weeks. At some she was excited to be selling the jewelry faster than she could place it on the display racks - at others she barely made her 'table' fee. I can't explain it, it is kind of a hit or miss market. So persistence is the key, my friend; You might sell only 10 this weekend and then 100 the next - but you will sell! Making a buck will be the greatest moral booster at this stage in your fledgling career.

Maybe set up in a town square or park if vendors are permitted. Ah, you'll come up with new ideas every day! Listen, if I wasn't scheduled to work this weekend I'd pop by and lend a hand. ( I think it's only a 20 hour flight each way.)

Good luck!
01-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck DV!! You have a unique (distorted?:-)) view of the world and the energy along with the enthusiasm to conquer it. I'm predicting you will go far. You're making things happen instead of wishing they were. I can't wait to hear how things go!
01-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Sounds like you are off to the races! The picture sale at the Craft Fair sounds like a good way to kick start your new career.

My son's GF is a damn fine artist. Attempting to make a few bucks for Christmas she made a ton of jewelry - all of her own design and made by hand. She worked very hard at making the items and also display cases to show off the stuff. Where am I going with this, you ask? She lined up to show at several craft fairs over the course of 6 weeks. At some she was excited to be selling the jewelry faster than she could place it on the display racks - at others she barely made her 'table' fee. I can't explain it, it is kind of a hit or miss market. So persistence is the key, my friend; You might sell only 10 this weekend and then 100 the next - but you will sell! Making a buck will be the greatest moral booster at this stage in your fledgling career.

Maybe set up in a town square or park if vendors are permitted. Ah, you'll come up with new ideas every day! Listen, if I wasn't scheduled to work this weekend I'd pop by and lend a hand. ( I think it's only a 20 hour flight each way.)

Good luck!

thats awesome about the jewelry....
i think it is going to be a case of 'hot and miss' .... thats ok.. its a good job i am persistent when i set my mind on something.. i will do anything and everything (within reason) to get to the stage of where i want to be...
i will look into the town square also!! im stetting hy tagets high and im applying for a stall at the st kilda market also.. its a very big market with a lot of competetion in guessing.. i like a challenge tho and i can bet my bottom dollar that no one else will be selling photographs like mine,hahah!!

id love for you to help me out mate 20hours isnt too bad.....

SO COME ON MELBOURNE...... COME AND HAVE A LOOK AT SOME DISTORTED SHOTS WITH A HINT OF VISION!!!
01-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Good luck DV!! You have a unique (distorted?:-)) view of the world and the energy along with the enthusiasm to conquer it. I'm predicting you will go far. You're making things happen instead of wishing they were. I can't wait to hear how things go!
thanks mate.. i will keep you all posted
01-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Best of luck to you!!!!
Once that online store is up and running
I will be one of the first in line!!! love your work!!
Find a way to get your work on some blank decks,
I would hang that on my wall as art, any day!!
01-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeahwhatever Quote
Best of luck to you!!!!
Once that online store is up and running
I will be one of the first in line!!! love your work!!
Find a way to get your work on some blank decks,
I would hang that on my wall as art, any day!!
thanks bud!!!
blank decks?!?! jeeez, ure a legend!! thats an awesome idea!! i will look into that 100%...
hmmm, ideas ideas.... hmmmmm
ive airbrushed a few decks in my time,aswell as surfboards also.. just the usual-flames and pics of chiks etc,, but just for my own use.. not to sell...
photographs could be another way to do this........

im photoshopping some pics onto decks right now.. because that idea is so flipn good!

Last edited by distorted_vision; 01-18-2008 at 09:46 PM.
01-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
skateboard decks with my photos..

here ya go.. what do you think??
Attached Images

01-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter