Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first arranged still life
Posted By: Alcazar, 01-18-2008, 06:13 PM

Hey everyone,
rearranged the furniture in my mother's practice to take this picture:
what do you think? does the processing look unnatural? would you want to be patient in such a practice? ;-)

Views: 2,044
01-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
welcome to the forums!

processing doesnt look unnatural to me, looks fine, color in the wall is nice. had to click to get the big image to be able to judge though suggest you post a bigger version in the thread next time

the chair has a lot of character, I think the lamp light sets the focus so I would consider moving the lamp so that its light hits the chair and lights it up, kind a spotlight on the chair and an invitation to sit down, either that or focus on the table in the background, but the chair seems more interesting.

just a suggestion, but nice shot overall and good exposure.
01-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Andreas!
I thought maybe i would annoy some people who don't have a fast internet connection if i posted a large picture, so i thought i link to flickr where you can choose the size if the one here is too small for you... but if you think so, i'll just post a bigger version next time.

I liked your suggestion, light falling on on the chair would definitely make it the most important piece in the picture, which i think can be a good thing too, but here i wanted the trinity of chair, lamp, table... and i tried some things out with lighting, and the chair looked most interesting with some light and some shadow... the broken bits come out more, the chair has more character...

Thanks for taking the time to answer in detail!
Greetings,
Micha
01-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No worries!

I took a look at your flickr page and was wowed! I looked through the people gallery and have you have a very cool style that I havent seen much of in these forums, although I have on flickr. The post processing is very cool, I thing you would have a lot to teach us in that respect

I hope you will stick around these forums in the future Maybe you should post a selection of your people shots in the post your photos section, that ought to open everyones eyes up to your talent

The HDR gallery is also great! oh, the popular gallery too... well they are all great

01-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
omg thanks, i'm glad you like my stuff!
But actually I always thought the people section was my weak spot... :-/ I don't know, they are just snapshots i took of my friends.... i think i DO have charming friends though, maybe that's why they work, not because i was such a good photographer or so good with people....
Cheers,
Micha
01-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree Andreas. I made a similar comment on another pne of Alcazar's threads. Some really supurb work on the flickr page. Well worth a look.

Alcazar, I agree with And's comments and might also suggest removing the table altogether if you can. It might be interesing with just the lamp and chair. The 2 primary colours really offset each other well. Great stuff.
01-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #7

Original Poster
I like the table and the stuff on it, BUT you're right, that might be more interesting, just the chair and the lamp. I'll try it out, although it might take some time until i visit my parents again. Thanks, Peter!!