Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Criminal Profiling?
Posted By: Rupert, 05-22-2012, 08:56 AM

Yesterday I had a Bird Feeder burglarized, and a side light busted out and all the feed robbed. I asked Otis for help in locating the burglar, and he accused me of "Profiling Squirrels", saying every time there was something broken or damaged around here Squirrels get the blame.

He said it was probably an "Inside Job"........I think he was right!

[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
Views: 865
05-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have given up trying to "burglar proof" my feeders for a long time, and as some of you may recall, I am now considering leaving the feeder wide open, but out in the middle of the yard to attract the next higher up member of the food chain.

Certainly I have enough squirrels in my yard to support at least 2-3 pairs of hawks, and I seriously doubt that even if I achieve my goal, the global population is at risk.

The other thing I have done is bought new feeders with a lifetime guarantee, so when the squirrel destroys all or part of it, i simply go back to the store and get all or part of it replaced.

This has not stopped the squirrels from gnawing on the aluminum of the new feeder, but at least I dont have to pay more money than the feed

05-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Peanuts!

I took Rupert's advise (which I am sure originated from Otis) and installed a "munch box" last fall. Actually it had little activity over the winter, but now in the spring for some reason we can't keep the munch box full.

This has really helped save our feeders - my wife has ~8 different bird feeders out at all times, but Mr. Grey Squirrel seems to prefer the salted peanuts now. I still can't see how he can eat so much in one day - he empties the munch box every day!

But a 1/2 pound of peanuts a day is better than constantly repairing/replacing bird feeders.

05-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lowell.....Buy one of those bird feeders that spin like a top when a Squirrel gets on them. My neighbor had two of them, both with lifetime warranties.......(after the third set the store refunded her money.) Squirrels love them and will ride on them for hours. It is so neat to see a couple of spinning Squirrels....they think they are at the Circus!

Stan.......Love those sharp and clear shots, they are excellent...Otis wants to hire you and fire me!

Let me make a suggestion, get a bag of black oil sunflower seeds for your feed box. They are cheaper than peanuts, better for the Squirrels health, and it is their favorite food. Fill it in the morning and they will munch happily all day, and you will be dollars ahead!

Regards!
05-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Let me make a suggestion, get a bag of black oil sunflower seeds for your feed box. They are cheaper than peanuts, better for the Squirrels health, and it is their favorite food. Fill it in the morning and they will munch happily all day, and you will be dollars ahead!

Regards!
That is what is in one of my feeders, finches, cardinals, chickadees and nuthatches like them too!

the down side of sunflower seeds is the smell of the rotting husks, which remain below the feeder unless you constantly clean them up.

I have gone to using feeders made from plastic tubes with little cutouts and perches. This has cut seed use from 2 liters per day to 2 liters per week, because it is harder for squirrels to get at.

I would agree they are cheaper than peanuts.

As for what squirrels do with the tons of peanuts people feed them, is really simple, they scurry away and hide them, and probably find them randomly or other animals find them. What's the old saying, even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut

05-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip for the sunflower seed - good for me since we buy that seed 300lbs at a time and always have some on hand.
05-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks for the tip for the sunflower seed - good for me since we buy that seed 300lbs at a time and always have some on hand.
Urgent request from Otis....your address?

Regards!