Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pictures that trick the eye
Lens: Tamron 24-135 Camera: K-5 and K-7 
Posted By: Schraubstock, 05-23-2012, 05:21 AM

Hi everyone

The pictures I am posting here are not taken very well and to be honest I had no desire to make them look good, so do not judge them with quality in mind. They are however interesting in a different way; they can trick the eye by messing up your sens of perspective.

For example: Take picture 1 and 2 copy them to your computer, put them up on screen and then rotate them 180º. They somehow look wrong but at the same time look right also. It can drive you nuts, can't it.

Picture 3 and 4 plays tricks on your mind in a different way. When you stare at them the perspective of the glasses or the balustrade suddenly flips back and forth, either convex or concave.

Do any of you have pictures that can trick the eye ? Please post them, I am interested to see what you come up with.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Views: 1,001
05-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I see what you mean - particularly in #1 & #4.
I've never flipped my pictures just to see what they'd look like. Maybe I should start trying it.

I suppose we all see differently, but here are two of my pictures which (I hope) might qualify as tricky:

(K10D / Vivitar 90 macro @ f2.5)

Yeah, just two poppies. Maybe you can guess why I posted them?

Which flower do you think is nearer to the camera?

My eyes tell me the lower flower looks nearer.
In fact, the upper flower was closer to the camera. The lower blossom was about 18 inches (45 cm) farther away from the camera than the upper blossom was.

(K-7 / Pentax F 100-300 @ 100, f/8)

Ok, I cheated on this one. I've rotated it from its original orientation. But, this is the way I first saw it on my computer screen - so that's the way I want you to see it, too.
To my eyes, the storm drain seems to skew back and forth. If I didn't know which way was up, it'd be hard for me to discern the orientation of the drain within the pavement.
(I rotated this picture counter-clockwise for posting here. The drain should be at the top of the photo.)

Last edited by .a.t.; 05-27-2012 at 12:17 AM.
05-27-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
Yes, I see what you mean - particularly in #1 & #4.
I've never flipped my pictures just to see what they'd look like. Maybe I should start trying it.

I suppose we all see differently, but here are two of my pictures which (I hope) might qualify as tricky:

(K10D / Vivitar 90 macro @ f2.5)

Yeah, just two poppies. Maybe you can guess why I posted them?

Which flower do you think is nearer to the camera?

My eyes tell me the lower flower looks nearer.
In fact, the upper flower was closer to the camera. The lower blossom was about 18 inches (45 cm) farther away from the camera than the upper blossom was.

(K-7 / Pentax F 100-300 @ 100, f/8)

Ok, I cheated on this one. I've rotated it from its original orientation. But, this is the way I first saw it on my computer screen - so that's the way I want you to see it, too.
To my eyes, the storm drain seems to skew back and forth. If I didn't know which way was up, it'd be hard for me to discern the orientation of the drain within the pavement.
(I rotated this picture counter-clockwise for posting here. The drain should be at the top of the photo.)
Hi
Brilliant, the drain is a real eye teaser it completely throws your eye balls out of plumb.

I hope we will see some more from others.

Greetings
05-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good stuff. The balustrade and the drain really thow me.

I submit one of mine. It is the right way up in a sense that this was the camera orientation. This is a horizontal rock ledge shot looking down and on a bit of an angle. The brownish elongated shapes are actually hollows filled with water. Do they look flat and horizontal as pools of water should?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
05-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Do they look flat and horizontal as pools of water should?
No they don't, they look to be convex (sort of bulging up) to my eye.
Thanks for posting.

This one here is perhaps not quite so much of an eye teaser. But it looks like as if there is a hole in the landscape.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-16-2012 at 05:36 PM.