Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Grand Canyon
Posted By: Bob Harris, 05-23-2012, 06:33 AM

We pulled into the Grand Canyon and had one of those very bright days which actually helps bring out the colors when photographing this massive wonder of the world. This is one of the hardest places to photograph, for me anyway, due to changing light, clouds, high winds and the overall size of this massive hole which is 17 miles from wall to wall at one point and over a mile deep. I will post more photos of this "must see" National Park when I get them uploaded. Thanks for looking. Bob

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 1,775
05-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Bob,
I think you should just stand in one place and test all your lenses shooting this place. Given the variations in lighting etc. that you mention, it could make for a very interesting perspective both of the scenery and of photographic techniques.
Marc
Marc, it was bad enough trying to take these photos, although we had nice sun, the wind was gusting up to 40mph and I had to shoot everything handheld. I just stuck with the 70 mm lens for all shots because of dusty conditions on top of the rim. Here are a few others I uploaded. thanks Bob. Maybe next year when we revisit I can give your idea a try.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Here are a few others I uploaded. thanks Bob. Maybe next year when we revisit I can give your idea a try.
Queue whiny 6 year old voice: "Not fair. I wanna go. How can Bob think of revisiting? I wanna go with him and take all these great photos too"

I had this thought with one of your other posts, but seems just as appropriate here. I like my job and I'm in no rush to retire, but you sure make the roaming lifestyle seem attractive.
05-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benny_h_z Quote
Spectacular! If in the sunset, may be more western movie feeling?
I know exactly what you are saying this is the Wild West, but sunrise seems to be better for photos, sunsets a lot of time have a sort of haze in the canyons, not sure if it is air pollution or what. Thanks for looking, Bob
05-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by captainbert Quote
Wow.. amazing Bob! Considering as you say that this amazing place is tricky to photograph, you've done an astounding job with this shot. The colors, contrast, composition, everything is just splendid my friend!
thank you Garbhan, not anything like you have in Ireland I would assume and not much green in this sandstone. Glad you like the photos here, I will post some more later for your enjoyment. Bob

05-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Looking forward to these... always a great subject. Going down into the canyon?
Will get around to some Yosemite shots one of these days.
Going down to the canyon isn't my problem, getting back up certainly is though. Looking forward to the Yosemite photos, thanks and here are a couple more. Bob
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Bob Harris; 06-21-2012 at 08:53 PM.
05-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Wow, those new ones are beautiful, too!! I especially LOVE the first one!
thank you Lori, one of my favorite also, I was really happy the canyon stayed so clear for most of the day for these shots.
05-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Tell Teri this is a nice one. I was lucky enough to be able to take a 2 week rafting trip down the Colorado through the canyon. It was the trip of a lifetime and gives you a completely different perspective. Alas, I didn't have a camera at the time but others in the group shared theirs with me. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that my husband and I went back and were able to see the canyon from the top. We also took the mule ride but learned a valuable lesson, mules hurt in all the wrong places.
What an experience to take the rafting trip, I have read the falls down there are really special and lots of beautiful sights. I took the mule ride back in the 70's and didn't feel very secure on part of the trail.

05-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Queue whiny 6 year old voice: "Not fair. I wanna go. How can Bob think of revisiting? I wanna go with him and take all these great photos too"

I had this thought with one of your other posts, but seems just as appropriate here. I like my job and I'm in no rush to retire, but you sure make the roaming lifestyle seem attractive.
Marc, I think the adventures we had before retiring are the highlight of our lives. Retirement is great for sure, but getting there is the best part. thanks Bob
05-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A wonderful series. One more place to add to the bucket list.