Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Yellow = photographic peril!
Lens: SMC 35mm f/2.4 DAL Camera: K5 Photo Location: Wilts., U.K. ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: prsjnb, 05-24-2012, 05:30 AM

I have always found capturing yellow flowers 'in the wild' challenging; highlights often being blown and the hue not resembling that of the actual flower. IMHO, however, the image of this self-seeded poppy growing on a garden path seems a step in the right direction

Constructive criticism/advice welcomed.

Jon
Views: 573
05-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flowers can be tricky as we all know Jon.For every dozen that I take I may like only one.--charliezap
05-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

V. Nice. What gave you that border effect?
05-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You did extremely well in capturing the yellow. A lot of times there are horrible white blown out blobs on the yellow. Great job.

05-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I think yellow flowers frequently reflect a disportionate amount of UV.
This is lovely.
Thanks for sharing.
05-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
Cheers all: your comments are much appreciated

Here is a second image in the same set taken from a different viewpoint and using a smaller aperture (f/11) to retain detail in the entire flower head.

"slackercruster V. Nice. What gave you that border effect?"

Simple: select all, contract x pixels, feather x pixels, select inverse, delete et Voilá!

Notes: I always leave this step till last and, if layers have been used, the image must be flattened first. On an unresized image from either the K20D or K5, a good starting point is to contract by 100 pixels and then feather by 66. This, naturally, can be modified to suit the image size but I tend to maintain the 3:2 (contract:feather) ratio as this gives the effect I find most pleasing. The fade to white is obtained when this is the colour selected in the background palette, but for some images the use of a different background colour is preferable.

Hope I've made myself clear!

Jon
05-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Beautiful bloom! Well shot too! Yellow can be very difficult, as can red. The second shot has gorgeous detail!

Regards!