Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Grand Canyon Late Afternoon
Posted By: Bob Harris, 05-27-2012, 02:41 PM

with a little bit of haze starting to set in was the end of the day for us. Back to the motorhome for dinner in Williams AZ.

Attached Images

Views: 2,943
05-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
That is one wonderful image Bob, nice 3D effect. If you have room left, print it and hang it. Thanks for posting it.
thank you Heinrich, glad you enjoyed the photo. I bet you are getting ready for the camping season, we will be in Colorado during June and then head up to Wyoming and Montana to spend the summer. Looking forward to seeing photos of your adventures. Bob

05-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
You picked a beaut time to capture this image Bob.Sensational!!
thanks so much for taking the time to comment, glad you enjoyed the shot here, it was the last of the day for me. Bob
05-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Quote
Wow! Great pic, Bob!
thank you Nick for the positive thoughts, always appreciated. Bob
05-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
This is a great image with great colour, much like everyone else has already commented. So I'll critique your presentation: it's pretty bad. The browny-orange vignette you applied to the image is an odd colour and does anything but subtle. This photo also suffers from some rather extreme jpeg artifacts, something that you should be screening for before upload. What's the point of nice photo equipment if you turn the image into mush when displaying it?
The presentation of that critique is pretty bad. I understand Mischivo's point but there are better ways to present criticism so it doesn't sound so harsh.

I like the photo but even before that "critique" I wondered how it might look with different processing. The photo as posted evokes elements of Impressionism; the original scene certainly contributed to that feel but I don't know whether the processing is intentional. The photo may look better or worse with different processing. It's a nice enough photo to be worthy of extra processing just to see what happens ... but then again, maybe the OP already tried different treatments and decided that the one he posted was the best option for that photo.

05-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
This is a great image with great colour, much like everyone else has already commented. So I'll critique your presentation: it's pretty bad. The browny-orange vignette you applied to the image is an odd colour and does anything but subtle. This photo also suffers from some rather extreme jpeg artifacts, something that you should be screening for before upload. What's the point of nice photo equipment if you turn the image into mush when displaying it?
Evening Mischivo, I just wanted to say that the colors you are seeing in the image are accurate - very accurate. The colors in the Canyon vary by the minute, and depend on the type of available lighting, weather condition, sky condition, direct sunlight or indirect. Also, where you might be standing and the angle you are viewing are all contributing factors. The colors range from the reds/oranges to the full range of browns, with the full gamut of all the earth tones. Purples and blues mixed with reds and oranges are also there - usually in the early mornings or late afternoons. Summer with the intense direct sunlight brings one set of tones, while winter and the clouds with snow brings another completely new set of color ranges. The colors may be vivid one minute and muted the next. If you want another completely different image, just wait a couple of minutes for a passing cloud or.....

Just an hour south in Sedona, brings another complete set of reds and deep oranges, that turn to a full range of pinks with the right sun. Sedona is world famous for its red rocks. Just a stone's throw away from the Grand Canyon is Antelope Canyon - a slot canyon with another completely different set of colors, in a 360 degree full surrounding view.

Some of the world's best photographers work for and contribute to Arizona Highways Magazine. Their pictures are absolutely spectacular across the Arizona landscapes. Every color imaginable is available, and is shown in the magazine.
edit___________________

I find when I shoot up there, its impossible to adjust the colors - so I don't. I might adjust the contrast and exposures a bit for the shadows, or bracket to get the full dynamic range, especially across the sun drenched areas as compared to the shadowed areas. The colors, I find - the best thing to do is just leave them alone since no one is going to believe them anyway - at least until they visit.

Last edited by interested_observer; 05-28-2012 at 08:58 PM.
05-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well done Bob.
05-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #37
Veteran Member

wow Bob that is amazing! Kind of has a feeling of a dreamy other planet kind of martian world.Tis indeed very painterly. Love it!

05-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

this is a wonderful image Bob, the haze along the bottom & sides of the image, did you add this or is it natural, it works a treat. I've been busy and haven't had a lot of time lately for PF, now I'm going to have to trawl through these pages to catch up with what you've been shooting.
cheers.
05-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #39
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

A large print...that's what it needs! Great shot!
Regards!
05-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The presentation of that critique is pretty bad. I understand Mischievous point but there are better ways to present criticism so it doesn't sound so harsh.

I like the photo but even before that "critique" I wondered how it might look with different processing. The photo as posted evokes elements of Impressionism; the original scene certainly contributed to that feel but I don't know whether the processing is intentional. The photo may look better or worse with different processing. It's a nice enough photo to be worthy of extra processing just to see what happens ... but then again, maybe the OP already tried different treatments and decided that the one he posted was the best option for that photo.
This was a quick snap end of the day that was handheld. I edited it using Picasa, a free editing program and didn't really do a lot to the photo. I am just a regular guy who enjoys sharing our travels in our motorhome full time. Like I have said before, my photos aren't the best, but I try to have an interesting thread to encourage others to travel and enjoy themselves through the photos I post. Thanks for commenting, it is appreciated that you are polite and considering. Bob
05-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Evening Mischivo, I just wanted to say that the colors you are seeing in the image are accurate - very accurate. The colors in the Canyon vary by the minute, and depend on the type of available lighting, weather condition, sky condition, direct sunlight or indirect. Also, where you might be standing and the angle you are viewing are all contributing factors. The colors range from the reds/oranges to the full range of browns, with the full gamut of all the earth tones. Purples and blues mixed with reds and oranges are also there - usually in the early mornings or late afternoons. Summer with the intense direct sunlight brings one set of tones, while winter and the clouds with snow brings another completely new set of color ranges. The colors may be vivid one minute and muted the next. If you want another completely different image, just wait a couple of minutes for a passing cloud or.....

Just an hour south in Sedona, brings another complete set of reds and deep oranges, that turn to a full range of pinks with the right sun. Sedona is world famous for its red rocks. Just a stone's throw away from the Grand Canyon is Antelope Canyon - a slot canyon with another completely different set of colors, in a 360 degree full surrounding view.

Some of the world's best photographers work for and contribute to Arizona Highways Magazine. Their pictures are absolutely spectacular across the Arizona landscapes. Every color imaginable is available, and is shown in the magazine.than
edit___________________

I find when I shoot up there, its impossible to adjust the colors - so I don't. I might adjust the contrast and exposures a bit for the shadows, or bracket to get the full dynamic range, especially across the sun drenched areas as compared to the shadowed areas. The colors, I find - the best thing to do is just leave them alone since no one is going to believe them anyway - at least until they visit.

thanks so much for the additional information, really enjoyed viewing Arizona Highways, what a great magazine. You're so right about colors and if one hasn't visited and photographed the areas you speak of it is honestly hard to make a real judgement. We have left AZ now, spending time in NM before spending a month with family in CO. Thanks for the kind words and looking forward to your posts. Bob
05-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by captainbert Quote
wow Bob that is amazing! Kind of has a feeling of a dreamy other planet kind of martian world.Tis indeed very painterly. Love it!
Garbhan, thank you for the positive review and all the way from Ireland, so you know the photo must be grand my friend. This is another place you must visit when visiting the s/w of the USA, right after you find that 4 leaf clover. Take care, Bob
05-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
this is a wonderful image Bob, the haze along the bottom & sides of the image, did you add this or is it natural, it works a treat. I've been busy and haven't had a lot of time lately for PF, now I'm going to have to trawl through these pages to catch up with what you've been shooting.
cheers.
CC, there was some white haze/clouds on the upper right of the photo and I just added the haze border to basically hide it. Glad you are back on for awhile, the one thing that I have not been doing is trying to shoot myself in the foot, if you know what I mean.
05-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
A large print...that's what it needs! Great shot!
Regards!
I would have to buy a larger bus for a bigger print Rupert, so maybe I will save this one for another day. We saw several chipmunks at the canyon, but alas, no squirrels.
05-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #45

Awesome shot

colors, details, excellent job.