Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Niagara Falls Power Plant
Camera: K-5, K-x Photo Location: Niagara Falls Ontaio 
Posted By: normhead, 05-27-2012, 05:45 PM

Tess has already posted some of these images. I think we have the whole set done now. I've sequenced them in a somewhat logical order.

Click here to see them all. (27)

And of course , a few teasers to pique your interest.

In case you're to lazy to scroll back to the top... click here.
Views: 1,342
05-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very cool Norn, love the first one very panoramic even caught a Gull in there.
05-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
More gulls to come in thread I'm working on as we speak...
05-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice work.

The falls are just an hour or so up the highway.

I really should get down there more often.

Tom G

05-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I really should get down there more often.
Our trick is Tess' son lives there, it gives us a place to crash when we get tired of taking pictures, as well as a place to plug in the big i7 iMac. Being able to look at your pictures and giving yourself a chance to do retakes and explore the things you think of while you're looking at the pictures is a big help. I can see why people get paid for this. To do it without the free accommodation it would require a hotel room and some time to visit.

Last edited by normhead; 05-28-2012 at 07:18 PM.
05-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Love the last one the best Norm. Nice series. You and Tess are lucky to live in such a varied area.
05-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks slopez... We live up on the Algonquin Dome, a geographical feature that rises 700 feet above the great lakes and surrounding area. The rough equivalent would be the Blue Ridge Mountains....Niagara Falls is a 4 hour drive away from us if you drive like a banshee, (or 6 hours if you drive like us.) But living that close to one of the wonders of the world, you can't complain about that. It's touristy and commercialized,( A young girl behind a pop stand charged me $2.50 for a sprite, at least double the normal value. I accused her of taking advantage of an old man and we both laughed. ) but, the raw power of the falls just punches right through all the commercialization and profiteering. It is what it is, and all these puny little people running around doesn't change a thing.

05-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great images Norm, reminds me of my companies hydro plants in the Sierra Nevada's. They don't build them like they used to, what great architecture.
05-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good point Bob, Tess and I are thinking of launching a campaign to have these old plants properly looked after. Hydro turned them over to the Parks Commission. Of course Hydro turned a 140 million dollar profit last quarter, the Parks Commission has no budget for maintaining these buildings. The state of disrepair is deplorable. The Parks Commission website is full of mumbo jumbo about funds being available if they can find the right private partner. Architecturally, this is one of Canada's treasures. After all people have only been living her fro the most part since the American Revolution. Before 1800, there just wasn't that much. SO 200 years doesn't give you a lot of history. And Canada refuses in most cases to appreciate what little it has. This complex being a case in point. It was extremely well built, but it's built beside a river with a 40 Km current. The Parks Commission's response to decay is to put up fences to keep people away from the affected areas. Already, many of the walkways have been fenced off and shut down. Many of our images have been compromised because we had to shoot over or through barbed wire fences. I'm sure for those who over see the site the changes have been gradual and they don't notice them. But the lack of access for myself and any of the millions of tourists who walk by it every year is disturbing. They are basically fenced off like they were a construction site, only there's no construction.
05-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The falls are on my list of places to visit Norm.Your shots give me more incentive to get there.--charliezap
05-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Don't be dragging your feet there zapper, and be sure and have a passport so you can come to the Canadian side. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the American side but it's good to do both. I spent a bit of time talking to a tour bus driver from New Jersey who drove up with a group for the memorial Day weekend. So, you probably wouldn't even have to drive.