Posted By: oldman, 05-28-2012, 08:40 AM

Vacation to Alaska

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 

Views: 760
05-28-2012, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
This image has great potential but it also has some flaws that detract from the beauty of the scene, fortunately, all can be corrected with a little PP. First of all the good:
Great scene, beautiful reflection, nice light (color and direction). Absolutely love the wispy clouds going over the peaks and I really enjoy that the image has depth despite it not having a solid visual anchor in the foreground.
Now the not so good:
Horizon is slanted towards the right, a big no no in landscapes, an easy fix in Photoshop, Lightroom, or just about all other photo editing tools. Second, I don't know if it was a dirty sensor or an even dirtier filter on the lens, but this image has enough stains to become distracting as well as a faint reflection(?) in the sky towards the right (I usually see that in very long exposures with high density ND filters when light leaks around the holder, no idea how you got it in this case). The little bush in the bottom left cornere looks like the result of not checking the image borders and is kind of intrusive, cloning out or cropping out would be recommended. The image also has some quite heavy vignetting visible in te corners of the image (stacked filters?). Lastly I would recomend a contrast bump, the snow on the mountains should be lighter.

I hope you won't take offense but I have made the corrections I am suggesting, and am attaching the image, I have not stored any copies in my PC and will remove it immediately for the attachments if this bothers you in any way, I just wanted to show what I was talking about.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
05-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #3

your corrections are right, however i like the muted feel of original color and contrast better
05-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First off what a shot - I agree with the level - I rarely take a level horizon shot and always have to fix it, The sensor needs a good cleaning saves the pp (Roket blower hopefull will take care of most if not all of it) not sure which color and contrast shot I prefer actually all I can say again is that is a wall hanger !

Last edited by daacon; 05-28-2012 at 10:30 AM.
05-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jase036 Quote
This image has great potential but it also has some flaws that detract from the beauty of the scene, fortunately, all can be corrected with a little PP. First of all the good:
Jase036, you are amazing and I love your correction.
05-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I like the corrections you made. My shot is one of those "oh crap, I just about missed it" shots thru the window of a moving train. No time to plan the shot, make adjustments or anything.
05-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wonderful capture and what a pleasure it must have been to see in person. Corrected or not, this is a great composition. TFS, Bob
05-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by oldman Quote
Thanks for the input. I like the corrections you made. My shot is one of those "oh crap, I just about missed it" shots thru the window of a moving train. No time to plan the shot, make adjustments or anything.
Well that's impressive, not easy to catch a scene like this from a moving train! It also explains the reflection and posibly some of the stains. Nice capture

05-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Though a window on a moving train; I would say you done real good.

I would level it.
05-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job considering the conditions. Level, print, and hang. I did enjoy Jases' critique - that's the way to do one. Very helpful suggestions whether you agree with the changes or not. Leaned a lot.