Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Moraine Lake - 8 shots
Camera: K5 
Posted By: daacon, 05-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Stole most of this from Wikipedia

Moraine Lake is a glacially-fed lake. It is situated in the Valley of the Ten Peaks, at an elevation of approximately 6,183 feet (1,885 m). The lake has a surface area of .5 square kilometres (0.19 sq mi).

The image of Moraine Lake is world famous and appears in many places including: On the reverse side of the 1969 and 1979 issues of the Canadian twenty dollar bill. In one of the main preview pictures for Google's operating system Android, Moraine lake was used as a background picture.

The lake, being glacially fed, does not reach its crest until mid to late June. When it is full, it reflects a distinct shade of blue. The color is due to the refraction of light off the rock flour deposited in the lake on a continual basis

Click on image twice for larger view

The road said closed but the gate was opened (last time it was not) so we went down there - lots of snow banks on the road show it has recently been plowed - it was cool there.

Here she is a few more weeks and the lake should be full thawed. The next three are same shots different foreground.

The 'rock cliff' - in the fall we climbed this then found out there is a path to the top on the other end Dooooooooooooooh

Zoom in on a few of the peaks

Gives an idea of the level of snow that was still there on 26th May 2012

And some HDR treatment - not for everyone I know but I kinda like it

Next time I get back there should have some prestine water and reflection shots I hope.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by daacon; 05-28-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Views: 1,654
05-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice "cool" looking shots Dave.---charliezap
05-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Almost 90 degrees F (31 C) in D.C. today. Your "cool" looking shots are very refreshing. Those mountains inspire calm and freedom--and you certainly seem to have a good taste of both. Thanks for sharing the set.
05-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of the most beautiful locations we visited Dave. JIM

05-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #5

wow, there is a lot of snow there still!
05-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave, wonderful photos of one of my most favoured spots on this earth. We were there on the 15th of May but the road was still closed. Thanks for posting these.
05-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It must be breathtaking to look up at some of those snowed filled mountains and have the opportunity to take images like you have.And by the way,was image number 7,the young looking guy standing next to the snow taken with a Pentax????

Last edited by Barnster; 05-28-2012 at 07:05 PM.
05-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Can't believe the difference snow makes. That is one beautiful area and I never managed to take advantage of it with my camera but you sure did. The climb up rock cliff really gives you the best view of the lake.
05-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Very nice "cool" looking shots Dave.---charliezap
Thanks Charlie the weather was decent (maybe 13C - 55F) but Karen was cold - the air was crisp and fresh.

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Almost 90 degrees F (31 C) in D.C. today. Your "cool" looking shots are very refreshing. Those mountains inspire calm and freedom--and you certainly seem to have a good taste of both. Thanks for sharing the set.
Thanks for the kind words causey - it's a lot of driving to do this over the weekend , but I truly enjoy it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
One of the most beautiful locations we visited Dave. JIM
Indeed it was Jim , an iconic spot for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by camo Quote
wow, there is a lot of snow there still!
You should have seen the shots I posted from Lake Louise about a month ago - snow banks well over my head (and I am 6'2"). It will be gone soon , but it can snow on any given day at these altitudes.
05-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Dave, wonderful photos of one of my most favoured spots on this earth. We were there on the 15th of May but the road was still closed. Thanks for posting these.
Thanks Heinrich indeed we were there on 28th April and same thing - I was not even sure it would be open last weekend. The sign said closed however the gate was open and indeed were were able to get down there without any issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
It must be breathtaking to look up at some of those snowed filled mountains and have the opportunity to take images like you have.And by the way,was image number 7,the young looking guy standing next to the snow taken with a Pentax????
Thanks Barnster - indeed it was my wife was shooting with a K20D and a Sigma 17-70 to capture that handicapped dude

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Can't believe the difference snow makes. That is one beautiful area and I never managed to take advantage of it with my camera but you sure did. The climb up rock cliff really gives you the best view of the lake.
Thanks for kinds words Susan I don't remember anything wrong with the shots you took on your trip there. Snow does indeed offer a different look , but I prefer when the lake is thawed, hope to get back at least one more time before fall.
05-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

#1 print it, frame it, hang it
#2 print it, frame it, hang it
#6 print it, frame it, hang it

your images are starting to have a repetitive quality about them
05-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
#1 print it, frame it, hang it
#2 print it, frame it, hang it
#6 print it, frame it, hang it

your images are starting to have a repetitive quality about them
haha thanks Marc - the weather and location were very cooperating for sure,
05-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

more great shots, wow (again)

cheers
05-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #14

Great shots.....beautiful scenery.
05-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #15

so clean and clear, must be very nice experience to be in those pictures. Of cause great shots.
The last one is just like a screen print from a fine CG game, with some kind of illusion of being on another planet.