Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Moraine Lake - 8 shots
Posted By: daacon, 05-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Stole most of this from Wikipedia

Moraine Lake is a glacially-fed lake. It is situated in the Valley of the Ten Peaks, at an elevation of approximately 6,183 feet (1,885 m). The lake has a surface area of .5 square kilometres (0.19 sq mi).

The image of Moraine Lake is world famous and appears in many places including: On the reverse side of the 1969 and 1979 issues of the Canadian twenty dollar bill. In one of the main preview pictures for Google's operating system Android, Moraine lake was used as a background picture.

The lake, being glacially fed, does not reach its crest until mid to late June. When it is full, it reflects a distinct shade of blue. The color is due to the refraction of light off the rock flour deposited in the lake on a continual basis

Click on image twice for larger view

The road said closed but the gate was opened (last time it was not) so we went down there - lots of snow banks on the road show it has recently been plowed - it was cool there.

Here she is a few more weeks and the lake should be full thawed. The next three are same shots different foreground.

The 'rock cliff' - in the fall we climbed this then found out there is a path to the top on the other end Dooooooooooooooh

Zoom in on a few of the peaks

Gives an idea of the level of snow that was still there on 26th May 2012

And some HDR treatment - not for everyone I know but I kinda like it

Next time I get back there should have some prestine water and reflection shots I hope.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by daacon; 05-28-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Views: 1,655
05-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
haha thanks Marc - the weather and location were very cooperating for sure,
You think I'm kidding?
I'm just hoping you follow my instructions, then realized you don't have enough wall space and so gift one of the images to me

05-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #17

Absolutely beautiful shots of an amazingly beautiful location--great work and a good description, stolen from Wikipedia or not! Cindy
05-31-2012, 06:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You certainly have a wide range and while the last with HDR isnt everyone cup of tea I like it mate TFS Dave
soo envious of what you snap up

cheers
05-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I really enjoyed your series. I love the blue sky and snow (wow!) Really enjoyed the view driving in .....and then the zoomed image is amazing! I love the HDR shot... very very rich and evocative. thanks so much for sharing Dave!

05-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
You think I'm kidding?
I'm just hoping you follow my instructions, then realized you don't have enough wall space and so gift one of the images to me
haha nice plan may want a plan b in place though

QuoteOriginally posted by HypnoCin67 Quote
Absolutely beautiful shots of an amazingly beautiful location--great work and a good description, stolen from Wikipedia or not! Cindy
Thanks Cindy appreciate you stopping by to comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
You certainly have a wide range and while the last with HDR isnt everyone cup of tea I like it mate TFS Dave
soo envious of what you snap up
cheers
Thanks Ivan - the landscapes in the mountains are something to see for sure - makes my job easy.

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I really enjoyed your series. I love the blue sky and snow (wow!) Really enjoyed the view driving in .....and then the zoomed image is amazing! I love the HDR shot... very very rich and evocative. thanks so much for sharing Dave!
Thanks Tess glad you liked them.
05-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
more great shots, wow (again)
cheers
Thanks CC appreciate the kind works

QuoteOriginally posted by cwhans Quote
Great shots.....beautiful scenery.
Thanks cwhans.

QuoteOriginally posted by frankfanrui Quote
so clean and clear, must be very nice experience to be in those pictures. Of cause great shots.
The last one is just like a screen print from a fine CG game, with some kind of illusion of being on another planet.
THanks frankfanrui - it is always great to get out there for sure.