Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wapta Falls
Lens: Various Camera: K5 Photo Location: Yoho Park, British Columbia 
Posted By: daacon, 05-30-2012, 09:26 AM

We have probably driven by the sign to Wapta Falls maybe a dozen times over the last 15 years or so. We were always on our way to somewhere else. It was either Golden for white water rafting , or Vernon for a ball tournament or Vancouver for a vacation. Last weekend we finally stopped and checked it out. I think it was the highlight of our trip.

A little history via Wikipedia :
  • Wapta Falls is a waterfall located in Yoho National Park in British Columbia, Canada.
  • It is the largest waterfall of the Kicking Horse River, at about 30 metres (98 ft) high and 150 metres (490 ft) wide.
  • Its average flow can reach 254 cubic metres per second (9,000 cu ft/s).The name stems from a Nakoda Indian word meaning "river".

Click on image twice for larger view

It's a 2.3km hike from the parking lot - relatively easy trail should be no problem for people of all ages or fitness. The last kilometer or so is a pretty steady incline but not realy steep just long. I did feel a little winded (but then again I am out of shape). Here's my wife on the start of the trail. (she is in much better shape than I she was my pace horse so to speak )

One has to keep one's head down to watch where you were stepping as tree roots and other obstacles were everywhere.

Here's our first look at the falls, from the highest viewpoint.

A little further down the trail to the a better location second view point.

I like this picture because of the people it gives you a real sense of scale - with a light breeze the spray was hitting us from the viewpoint.

And a little further yet and here is the viewpoint we liked best.

Thanks for taking a look - hope you enjoyed the trip

Last edited by daacon; 05-30-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Views: 902
05-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are some great images. I particularly appreciate the one with the people for scale. I can't tell you how many times I wished I had a model with me for my pictures. But then you think, well model, 50 bucks an hour for a cheap one, 4 hour hike or worse, week long trip, then she probably wants a make up artist, after all, she's a model, she wants to look good. Before long I'm envisioning a the budget a majour motion picture studio would cringe over. You, know, assistants, film crews, helicopter flights in and out. Lunch catered at the local upscale eatery. I really want one of those assistants that hold those white cards for fill lighting, and changes my lenses for me.

Actually going to the photography show and having models with their make up done and lighting technicians looking after the lights has spoiled me completely. I have to get back to a few more waterfalls and get grounded in the real world again. But come on, meeting one model type person who loves the outdoors and hiking , who wouldn't mind paying his/her own way on a few of our adventures and posing at appropriate times... is that too much to ask?
05-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dave, I could have written that intro, been there but not done it. It will be rectified this September as part of our annual fall excursion to Jasper. BTW, this is a wonderful set, love #5 but they are all very good images. Thanks for showing us.
05-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Awesome pictures and great work Dave! I wish we had beautiful landscapes like that out here on the east coast; we have a lot of cool stuff but no landscapes like the ones you shoot...

05-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

beautiful countryside, well captured TFS.

cheers
05-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks like a beautiful location Dave. Really like the last one. JIM
05-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Beautiful series. That is one impressive waterfall.

05-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great pics and story line - I can just hear the roar of the waterfall!
05-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More wonderful landscapes - I especially like #5, with the people lending scale to the scene.

Jer
05-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Majestic mountain and surrounds Dave , I am in denial TFS

cheers
05-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Those are some great images. I particularly appreciate the one with the people for scale. I can't tell you how many times I wished I had a model with me for my pictures. But then you think, well model, 50 bucks an hour for a cheap one, 4 hour hike or worse, week long trip, then she probably wants a make up artist, after all, she's a model, she wants to look good. Before long I'm envisioning a the budget a majour motion picture studio would cringe over. You, know, assistants, film crews, helicopter flights in and out. Lunch catered at the local upscale eatery. I really want one of those assistants that hold those white cards for fill lighting, and changes my lenses for me.

Actually going to the photography show and having models with their make up done and lighting technicians looking after the lights has spoiled me completely. I have to get back to a few more waterfalls and get grounded in the real world again. But come on, meeting one model type person who loves the outdoors and hiking , who wouldn't mind paying his/her own way on a few of our adventures and posing at appropriate times... is that too much to ask?
Thanks Norm too funny , I don't think it's too much to ask maybe you just need to buy Tess some flowers

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Dave, I could have written that intro, been there but not done it. It will be rectified this September as part of our annual fall excursion to Jasper. BTW, this is a wonderful set, love #5 but they are all very good images. Thanks for showing us.
Thanks Heinrich that's funny - watch for the sign heading west I missed it and ended up in Godlen (about 30kn extra) it was lunch time so we ate there not a total loss. You'll enjoy it and it should even be better in the fall.

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Awesome pictures and great work Dave! I wish we had beautiful landscapes like that out here on the east coast; we have a lot of cool stuff but no landscapes like the ones you shoot...
Thanks Joe , you have the oceans eh have to give us something Lots of nice scenic areas there as well , just different.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
beautiful countryside, well captured TFS.
cheers
Thanks CC appreciate the comments.
05-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Looks like a beautiful location Dave. Really like the last one. JIM
Thanks Jim , just down the road from Emerald Lake.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Beautiful series. That is one impressive waterfall.
Thank Susan , it was the highlight of our trip.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Great pics and story line - I can just hear the roar of the waterfall!
Thanks stromtech yes it was thundering indeed and rather wet.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
More wonderful landscapes - I especially like #5, with the people lending scale to the scene.
Jer
Thanks Jer unlike norm I did not need to hiore them, they just took off down the cliff

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Majestic mountain and surrounds Dave , I am in denial TFS
cheers
Thanks Ivan I appreciate the kind words. (now you have Gold Coast and kangaroos eh )