Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Lens: Sigma 15~30mm 3.5 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Washington DC ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: joe.penn, 05-30-2012, 10:04 AM

This place is one of my favorite places to shoot interiors, the architecture is amazing! Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for looking...

Views: 1,555
05-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots, I liked the last two best. On the first three, although I liked the graceful compostions overall, the blues were pretty strongly blown out on my monitor, particularly the upper windows in #2. Is it the same for you?
05-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
he blues were pretty strongly blown out on my monitor, particularly the upper windows in #2. Is it the same for you?
It was extremely bright outside yesterday so a lot of sun was screaming through the windows. I noticed it while doing the shots, even the -2 exposures were pretty harsh - I usually take a flash with me to overcome these situations but packed lite and left lighting at home. Most of these were blended with 5 shots...
05-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is a crop of the 2nd photo of the "-4 compensation" in the 5-shot blend, you can see from this one a -4 with a good meter how strong the sun was coming through. Evening time would be ideal the problem is there is mass in the lower church every day in the evening and they always have something going on in the upper cathedral in the evenings - I could try on a stormy day, that would probably solve this issue (if all else fails flash will do the trick).

05-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you try layering? You could maybe layer in or blend the above exposure into the HDR. I sometimes do this with OnOne.
05-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No - i didnt spend to much time on those ones, i have a few others that i will be working on tonight, will try a few different techniques with those...