Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Just too Damn Cold !!!
Posted By: daacon, 01-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Hi my name is Dave and it has been many days since my last photo shoot. I felt the itch today and had to get out of the house with gear in tow. The dog can hear the K10D power on from any room in the house now and if he happens to miss it, the unmistakable sound of a telezoom lens autofocus is enough to make him hide.

So I bundled up - walked out to the local slew to take a few shots and froze my pixels off!!! The camera and lens help up well in the -17 Celsius with a bit of a breeze so wind-chill factor (-20 something) was enough to ice my moustache. Still loving the Sigma 105 macro, while these are not conversation starters, I hope there are a little more interesting than my last few days shots of my keyboard , TV remote, computer mouse and other indoor objects. Man I need a break in the weather!!!

No need for explanations other than my fingers and face froze on these. I did experience that even a little breeze made a huge difference in a macro focus so the day was not a complete loss (I can see why a tripod is recommended as well)

One non macro shot I think came out well with the Sgima 105 ...

Well I feel better anyway thanks !
Views: 2,697
01-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We've had a slight warming trend over the last couple days but I think that will be short lived and we'll be going back to hover around -20C for another month or so.

Attached Images

01-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots, Dave - make my teeth chatter. It's cold down here as well - we didn't get over 52F on Sunday (BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR).

Jer
01-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Big deal, it was 15 here in northern VA this morning. Oh, wait, you're talking Celcius.
01-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I'll stop complaining about temps in the low teens F

01-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Dave, Brave shots! Don't feel bad, I just got a new-to-me 12-24mm and my only day off was yesterday. I had wanted to take some shots from the Brooklyn Bridge, but it was a bit too nippy out to spend the hour or so outside that it would have required. I would have been able to give the SR a good workout what with the wind gusts and the shivering! Instead I had to settle for shooting indoors at the Botanical Garden conservatory, not the best place to test an extreme wide angle. Hopefully I'll have the LBA shots up soon.

NaCl(in July we'll be all moaning about how hot it is)H2O
Thanks Salty I considered going downtown to take some shots , but 20 minutes in my neighboorhood convinced me otherwise ! I should have looked at more indoor avenues like you did.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great shots, Dave - make my teeth chatter. It's cold down here as well - we didn't get over 52F on Sunday (BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR).

Jer
Thanks Jer - cold is what you are used to for sure, while I have no sympathy for your 52f , my Dad lives in Arizona in the winter and complains when it gets below 65f so I hear ya , just don't feel too bad

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Big deal, it was 15 here in northern VA this morning. Oh, wait, you're talking Celcius.
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I think I'll stop complaining about temps in the low teens F
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
We've had a slight warming trend over the last couple days but I think that will be short lived and we'll be going back to hover around -20C for another month or so.

Let’s just leave it at if you are anywhere in the northern hemisphere it is freaking cold !

Last edited by daacon; 01-21-2008 at 11:53 PM.