Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Just too Damn Cold !!!
Posted By: daacon, 01-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Hi my name is Dave and it has been many days since my last photo shoot. I felt the itch today and had to get out of the house with gear in tow. The dog can hear the K10D power on from any room in the house now and if he happens to miss it, the unmistakable sound of a telezoom lens autofocus is enough to make him hide.

So I bundled up - walked out to the local slew to take a few shots and froze my pixels off!!! The camera and lens help up well in the -17 Celsius with a bit of a breeze so wind-chill factor (-20 something) was enough to ice my moustache. Still loving the Sigma 105 macro, while these are not conversation starters, I hope there are a little more interesting than my last few days shots of my keyboard , TV remote, computer mouse and other indoor objects. Man I need a break in the weather!!!

No need for explanations other than my fingers and face froze on these. I did experience that even a little breeze made a huge difference in a macro focus so the day was not a complete loss (I can see why a tripod is recommended as well)

One non macro shot I think came out well with the Sgima 105 ...

Well I feel better anyway thanks !
Views: 2,699
01-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice shots . I like number 3 . Just something about it .
01-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Hi my name is Dave and it has been many days since my last photo shoot. I felt the itch today and had to get out of the house with gear in tow. The dog can hear the K10D power on from any room in the house now and if he happens to miss it, the unmistakable sound of a telezoom lens autofocus is enough to make him hide.

So I bundled up - walked out to the local slew to take a few shots and froze my pixels off!!! The camera and lens help up well in the -17 Celsius with a bit of a breeze so wind-chill factor (-20 something) was enough to ice my moustache. Still loving the Sigma 105 macro, while these are not conversation starters, I hope there are a little more interesting than my last few days shots of my keyboard , TV remote, computer mouse and other indoor objects. Man I need a break in the weather!!!

No need for explanations other than my fingers and face froze on these. I did experience that even a little breeze made a huge difference in a macro focus so the day was not a complete loss (I can see why a tripod is recommended as well)
Well I feel better anyway thanks !

I hear ya man. This weather sucks big time. I wish we could just sorta fast forward to, I dunno, about the May 24 weekend and get on with it already, haha.
01-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

They all look good to me Dave, although the top 2 are my favorites.

I'll have to let you know when I'm heading to Albert well ahead of time, and see if we can meet up for a shoot somewhere.

01-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Very nice shots . I like number 3 . Just something about it .
Thanks dantuyhoa only stayed out about 20 minutes glad you liked it.

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
I hear ya man. This weather sucks big time. I wish we could just sorta fast forward to, I dunno, about the May 24 weekend and get on with it already, haha.
haha noooooo to far I am off to Mexico for two weeks in about a monht so let's fast forward to then !

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
They all look good to me Dave, although the top 2 are my favorites.

I'll have to let you know when I'm heading to Albert well ahead of time, and see if we can meet up for a shoot somewhere.
Thanks Stu - definitely we can meet in Canmore , Banff , Louise , Calgary hey we can hit Airdrie and pick up Heinrich. Or if you happen to be in the Edmonton area, let me know.

We also usually head to Vernon every July long weekend and this year I think we may extend the stay (unsure yet). I love the drive down there, you could stop every mile and get some great shots. The last several years we have flown ( ummm 1 hour vs 10 !) but if we extend the holiday we will drive for sure. So if we don’t hook up before let’s see if we can in July.
01-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I like the first shot a lot. The two beautiful red fruit surrounded by white snow. Artistic
01-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots daacon:-).
Why are you guys sending that cold stuff down here on us? We got sun today and the thermometor is dropping like a rock! Coming straight down out of Canada!
This is turning out to be a REAL winter here in North Idaho, first one we've had in a long while. It's unbelievable the wrecks and stuff we're having. People have moved here from warmer climes and have gotten used to easy winters, now when a good one hits there are all these people that don't have a clue how to drive in it.

01-21-2008, 03:59 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi Dave - my name is Jeff and I'm sick of the cold too!

Ya froze yer pixels off to show us your twig and your shriveled berries - what the.....?

I know it's nothing to bark about but I stayed in to watch Randy Moss and the Pats win again.

Well, I should leaf it alone and go now. (Ok, the last pic has me stumped, is that what I think it is?)

(See, it is cold here! Taken this morning.)

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:28 AM.
01-21-2008, 06:01 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Nice shots Dave, you're a braver man than I. I saw those nice blue skies in the morning and thought of going out with my camera right up until I read the thermometer......

Then I stayed in and grumbled.
01-21-2008, 06:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I like the first shot a lot. The two beautiful red fruit surrounded by white snow. Artistic
Thanks James that Sigma if nothing else is sharp for sure

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Why are you guys sending that cold stuff down here on us? We got sun today and the thermometor is dropping like a rock! Coming straight down out of Canada!
This is turning out to be a REAL winter here in North Idaho, first one we've had in a long while. It's unbelievable the wrecks and stuff we're having. People have moved here from warmer climes and have gotten used to easy winters, now when a good one hits there are all these people that don't have a clue how to drive in it.
Thanks Eaglerapids you're welcome anytime we can send the cold south that means it is leaving here (only soon to be followed by more cold). Even up here the first snow fall of the year, peoples driving skills just go away - numerous fender benders , usaully takes a week or so before some poeple wake up - slow down and get the winter treads on (if they use them, I do on all my vehicles, the cheapest snow tires are better than the best all seasons).

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Hi Dave - my name is Jeff and I'm sick of the cold too!
Ya froze yer pixels off to show us your twig and your shriveled berries - what the.....?
I know it's nothing to bark about but I stayed in to watch Randy Moss and the Pats win again.
Well, I should leaf it alone and go now. (Ok, the last pic has me stumped, is that what I think it is?)
(See, it is cold here! Taken this morning.)
Best comments I have had on a post Thanks Jeff that made my morning. Cold does indeed affect my 'berries' and my 'twig' , although I prefer more to reference it as a 'trunk'. My wife may 'bark' about that comment , but I will 'leaf' it alone as I am at a 'moss' for words now. It's only -19 here this am suppose to warm up - but it is a dry cold

QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Nice shots Dave, you're a braver man than I. I saw those nice blue skies in the morning and thought of going out with my camera right up until I read the thermometer......

Then I stayed in and grumbled.
Thanks Scott There is a fine line between Bravery and Stupidity - I walked that line yesterday and after about 20 minutes figured which side I was on!

Last edited by daacon; 01-21-2008 at 06:23 AM.
01-21-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cute Jeff. I tried to brave the cold myself yesterday and decided it was more fun to watch the Packers freeze their butts off.

Nice shots Dave. Glad to see you're enjoying the new lens. The first shot is great, nice colour. Problem with these temps is by the time you set up the tripod for a shot, you've had about enough.

If you guys want to feel the cold, here's the current Charlottetown conditions. The biggest difference is the humidity. 20-30% is bearable but when it's still in the +60% range (that's what I get for living near the Atlantic Ocean) the cold drills right through you, especially when the wind kicks in.

Attachment 7778

Last edited by Peter Zack; 02-18-2008 at 09:33 AM.
01-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Cute Jeff. I tried to brave the cold myself yesterday and decided it was more fun to watch the Packers freeze their butts off.
Nice shots Dave. Glad to see you're enjoying the new lens. The first shot is great, nice colour. Problem with these temps is by the time you set up the tripod for a shot, you've had about enough.
If you guys want to feel the cold, here's the current Charlottetown conditions. The biggest difference is the humidity. 20-30% is bearable but when it's still in the +60% range (that's what I get for living near the Atlantic Ocean) the cold drills right through you, especially when the wind kicks in.
Thanks Peter - you not only have the cold but the percipatation and humidy as well! I have lived in humid climates before in Montreal and Nova Scotia. I have also spent a few winters in PEI so I hear ya!

For all those reading and wondering why we whine so much about the weather - I posted a explanation in the Genreal Talk section that might help.
01-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Oh you got hit with an Alberta clipper.

I drove 250km on Saturday (to buy an A* lens, why else would I do this?). The highway was interesting to say the least. I saw a number of cars that had skidded off the road into the ditches, including a jackknifed tractor trailer.
01-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Dave, Brave shots! Don't feel bad, I just got a new-to-me 12-24mm and my only day off was yesterday. I had wanted to take some shots from the Brooklyn Bridge, but it was a bit too nippy out to spend the hour or so outside that it would have required. I would have been able to give the SR a good workout what with the wind gusts and the shivering! Instead I had to settle for shooting indoors at the Botanical Garden conservatory, not the best place to test an extreme wide angle. Hopefully I'll have the LBA shots up soon.

NaCl(in July we'll be all moaning about how hot it is)H2O
01-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

You guy's have got to remember that I live just down the road from Canada's hottest city when you look at this

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thanks Stu - definitely we can meet in Canmore , Banff , Louise , Calgary hey we can hit Airdrie and pick up Heinrich. Or if you happen to be in the Edmonton area, let me know.

We also usually head to Vernon every July long weekend and this year I think we may extend the stay (unsure yet). I love the drive down there, you could stop every mile and get some great shots. The last several years we have flown ( ummm 1 hour vs 10 !) but if we extend the holiday we will drive for sure. So if we don’t hook up before let’s see if we can in July.
We'll definitely have to do a little exploring when your here Dave, and give our cameras a good workout.