Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Summer Storm
Lens: DA 10-55 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Cottonwood, CA USA 
Posted By: WillH, 06-05-2012, 05:47 AM

Storm blew in yesterday off the Pacific and provided some interesting lighting and clouds!

BTW, the lens is the DA 18-55mm not 10-55mm as indicated in the heading.
Views: 788
06-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm most impressed by the first photo and really like the rustic colors.
06-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
MSL,
Thanks! It was fun being here! The images are not post processed - just as the camera recorded them. Don't get light, and atmosphere, like that very often so was pleased I could record it with a camera that did the scenes justice. There's more on flicker!

I like the first one too. It's just a kit lens that isn't fast, but it is water resistant; however, there wasn't much light. I was worried ISO200 wouldn't do the job - it did! There was thunder and lightening banging over my head as I was taking the shots.....stupid thing to do, I know, but I wanted the pictures. :-)

This picture is of the storm coming in taken with an old antique Tamron 22a!

Last edited by WillH; 11-17-2012 at 01:54 PM.
06-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That first one is awesome. Well done.

06-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Susan,

Here's a couple more, same cloud formation just different view. I haven't done much with RAW and I regret not selection Raw+JPEG for these photos to see how they would turn out!

Last edited by WillH; 11-17-2012 at 01:54 PM.
06-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Here's a couple more, same cloud formation just different view. I haven't done much with RAW and I regret not selection Raw+JPEG for these photos to see how they would turn out!
You don't need RAW + JPG - just put the photos into the Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU) and it can replicate all the in camera settings.
The kit lens is like a good swiss army knife - it isn't the best tool for a given job but it can be a really good tool for many jobs. I wouldn't build a house with one, nor would I use it for a professional shoot, but it works for a lot of situations.

I like the extra photos too. I don't think the 22A lens did as good of a job capturing the colors.
06-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
You don't need RAW + JPG - just put the photos into the Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU) and it can replicate all the in camera settings.
The kit lens is like a good swiss army knife - it isn't the best tool for a given job but it can be a really good tool for many jobs. I wouldn't build a house with one, nor would I use it for a professional shoot, but it works for a lot of situations.

I like the extra photos too. I don't think the 22A lens did as good of a job capturing the colors.
No pro here just a duffer who enjoys taking pictures. Semi- retired cattle rancher. You are correct about the lense! I was going to sell it. After using it for awhile I've decided to hang on to it. I'll check out the PDCU. Thanks. I confess that I don't enjoy setting at the computer for long periods though.........

You noticed the colors from the Tamron lens! Whoa! Good eye! That is the reason I enjoy that lens so much. It just adds "punch" to the colors. Have a 70-210mm Tamron that does the samething. Just waiting for an Adaptall P/KA mount to arrive for it. Don't mind manual operation and rather enjoy spinning my own dials.

Up date, I'm running an Apple Mac OSX 10.7.4. The CD won't load and Pentax knows about the issue. Perhaps, maybe, who knows, Pentax may offer a newer version of PDCU around July with the new K-30. Nothing promised. Ya know what? For a duffer like me JPEG is looking just fine.

Last edited by WillH; 06-05-2012 at 01:09 PM.
06-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Den
Veteran Member

Very pleasing color. These are all quite nice.
06-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Den! Probably the last storm of any size we'll see this summer!
06-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Up date, I'm running an Apple Mac OSX 10.7.4. The CD won't load and Pentax knows about the issue. Perhaps, maybe, who knows, Pentax may offer a newer version of PDCU around July with the new K-30. Nothing promised. Ya know what? For a duffer like me JPEG is looking just fine.
No worries - you can tweak a RAW in a large number of programs, and do more than just the K-5 camera defaults. A job for when you decided standing in a lightning storm taking pictures isn't a good idea...
06-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
MSL, I was fine until the hair on my arms and back of my neck started to stand up! I ran for the house........ :0
06-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MSL, I was fine until the hair on my arms and back of my neck started to stand up! I ran for the house........ :0
Your spidey sense was tingling - a good time to run! LOL