Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
R.I.P.
Lens: Kiron 105 2.8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Sacramento, CA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: tabl10s, 06-06-2012, 11:42 PM

These are/were Scrub Jay hatchlings born about a month ago. For some reason the mother built a nest in a backyard rose bush@eye level providing me with a chance to document their growth. The funny thing is that I abhor the species to the point that I was going to get rid of the nest. Once they started getting vocal, the Lab/Golden mix would purposely bump the bush in hopes of getting a prize. It finally did. The pictures were taken five days apart w/on-board flash and an effective length of around 155mm's?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 700
06-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
These are/were Scrub Jay hatchlings born about a month ago. For some reason the mother built a nest in a backyard rose bush@eye level providing me with a chance to document their growth. The funny thing is that I abhor the species to the point that I was going to get rid of the nest. Once they started getting vocal, the Lab/Golden mix would purposely bump the bush in hopes of getting a prize. It finally did. The pictures were taken five days apart w/on-board flash and an effective length of around 155mm's?
When you say "prize" what exactly is meant by that?
Dead chicks?
06-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Partially chewed before my youngest intervened. I wish the dog would get the Pigeons populating the neighborhood.
06-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
The funny thing is that I abhor the species to the point that I was going to get rid of the nest.
I would have protected those magnificent little birdies with my life, if necessary. So would Otis....who took your post directly to the Devil Squirrel. If you have a concrete bunker 100 feet deep with 7 ft thick walls....get in it....the Devil Squirrel has your number.
Regards!

06-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Rupert and hope the Devil Squirrel gets his due. So sad that any life is taken so lightly.
06-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Naturally, the dog didn't approach when I was outside and only became interested when their vocal range became louder. The nest is still there in case the female decides to lay another batch.
06-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's very sad, but it is a natural instinct for the dog. The nest was in a bad place, perhaps you should remove it in hopes that the mother will lay her eggs in a safer place next time.
06-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Partially chewed before my youngest intervened. I wish the dog would get the Pigeons populating the neighborhood.
In all honestly, there are better things to wish for, but good luck with your hopes and aspirations..

06-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
True. But then again, the birds are ruining the front porch, driveway, etc, etc, etc.
06-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

To be fair to tabl10s, Pigeons are rats with wings, they are difficult to get rid of, they carry disease and they cause a lot of damage to property. If you had rats would you not have them removed? Would you feel bad if a cat nabbed them? There are ways to get rid of Pigeons without killing them though, and it's not like tabl10s has killed them, he's just frustrated.

Last edited by kenafein; 06-07-2012 at 10:48 PM.
06-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If you don't like the birds then go to the hardware store and buy some spray that will prevent them from returning. You comments sound a bit childish. Having a bird build a best in the cracks and crevices of your home is one thing but nesting in a bush??? Watch out for the birds overhead.......
06-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@18,

I don't venture into the yard often and the nest wasn't discovered(by my youngest) until after the eggs were laid What part of my post/posts are childish? Do YOU know the name of the spray supposedly sold at any hardware store?
06-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't take it personally. Some folks feel very strongly about about protecting living creatures. If you would have moved the nest as someone suggested the mother bird probably would have abandoned the nest altogether. You don't have absolutely total control of your dog and it is not fair for someone to suggest you should. Shoulda coulda. Hind sight and arm chair quarterbacks are always right....so they say.
06-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

@18,

I don't venture into the yard often and the nest wasn't discovered(by my youngest) until after the eggs were laid What part of my post/posts are childish? Do YOU know the name of the spray supposedly sold at any hardware store?
Amazon.com: Bonide 238 1-Quart Shot-Gun Repels-All Animal Repellent Ready To Use: Patio, Lawn & Garden