Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Wild Rose Bud
Lens: Tamron 90 macro Camera: K-5 Photo Location: garden ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: tessfully, 06-07-2012, 10:05 AM

I took this shot with a very high ISO and wondered if some might like the effect. This was my favourite of the bunch even though I had others at ISO 100 and 400 and f/5.6 and f/8. thank you for looking !

Views: 1,583
06-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would've understood this if it was taken by P&S camera...
06-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
hmm... not sure how to take your comment... i am guessing you don't like it...

When I have time I want to also post the other two at different ISOs ... just for interest. I enjoy experimenting with the different effects and pushing the K5.
06-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks great to me. Nice detail and colors. I like the smooth noise in the background.

06-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Framing is very good , colors I like I am with you on Vasyl's comment not sure what he meant.
06-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plenty of detail, good light and vivid colour...............................well done!
06-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm guessing @Vasyl doesn't like the slightly grainier effect, and one could question if the image had been taken by a P&S being pushed to its limits rather than as a creative effort using a DSLR. I can see his point, as while it is a nice "arty" shot, it lacks a bit of pop, especially the fine water droplets which may come out better at the lower ISO.

06-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
It's a decent picture Tess.What amazes me is that the people with the harshest comments don't post a lot of photos for other people to comment on.Mischivo is another one but don't get me going.If I take a dozen shots I'm lucky to get one that is "Post Worthy"--charliezap
06-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What I meant was the quality, beauty and abilities of the equipment and the quality of the posted picture...
There was one question in my head: - what was the reason to use such equipment for getting such result?
I like experiments too to see what could be reached with the equipment (camera, lenses etc), but this picture just does not look to me as it was taken by a good camera with a good lens...

Maybe it is just me...
06-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
It's a decent picture Tess.What amazes me is that the people with the harshest comments don't post a lot of photos for other people to comment on.Mischivo is another one but don't get me going.If I take a dozen shots I'm lucky to get one that is "Post Worthy"--charliezap
I will appreciate very much your comments for my pictures...I promise you will see them pretty soon...:-)
06-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Very beautiful, Tess! There are few things as lovely as rose buds just before they come to full bloom. I sometimes think they are even more beautiful at this stage. Great shot!
06-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Looks great to me. Nice detail and colors. I like the smooth noise in the background.
Thanks bluestringer! I too like that part of the image... something about the bokeh that was out of the ordinary (compared to the other technically normal images)...

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Framing is very good , colors I like I am with you on Vasyl's comment not sure what he meant.
Thanks Dave! I appreciate your comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Plenty of detail, good light and vivid colour...............................well done!
Eaglem, I so appreciate your comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I'm guessing @Vasyl doesn't like the slightly grainier effect, and one could question if the image had been taken by a P&S being pushed to its limits rather than as a creative effort using a DSLR. I can see his point, as while it is a nice "arty" shot, it lacks a bit of pop, especially the fine water droplets which may come out better at the lower ISO.
Hey Marc, the water droplets are much better in this version because of the textures...one of the reasons I liked it. I could debate the limitations and exceptions of a point and shoot but it really doesn't matter as you are right, this is an artsy (aka, tess) shot, so not for everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Charlie, thank you so much for your comments and support!

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
What I meant was the quality, beauty and abilities of the equipment and the quality of the posted picture...
There was one question in my head: - what was the reason to use such equipment for getting such result?
I like experiments too to see what could be reached with the equipment (camera, lenses etc), but this picture just does not look to me as it was taken by a good camera with a good lens...

Maybe it is just me...
I believe it is just you. Your response is subjective which is just fine, (although I do think you underestimate this image for its bokeh and depth of field as well as underestimate the power of the point and shoot). Anyway, I think this camera and the lens and the unorthodox settings created something very special for me...

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Very beautiful, Tess! There are few things as lovely as rose buds just before they come to full bloom. I sometimes think they are even more beautiful at this stage. Great shot!
Thank you Lori! You are right, the buds are even more lovely than the blooms sometimes. The buds are always perfect... the blooms so delicate and tender they succumb easily to the elements. That being said, I can't wait to get a new bloom to photograph before the leaf-hopper and hard rains wreck it!!
06-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was immediately captured by the vivid red and green and the detail where it counts. If this is what a K-5 can do at ISO3200, I want one.
06-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Where as I would be amazed if this had been taken with a point and shoot. The sharpness of the in-focus parts and the smoothness of the bokeh would be unusual, in a point and shoot image.

QuoteQuote:
what was the reason to use such equipment for getting such result?
Because you can't get the sharpness displayed in the sharper parts of the page or the bokeh using inferior equipment. But really, what do you have against Point and Shoots.

A point and shoot image for your viewing pleasure. A good photographer learns to take great images, even with his point and shoot. You have to learn the limitations of whatever gear you use.. and shoot to it's strength.

06-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Hey Marc, the water droplets are much better in this version because of the textures...one of the reasons I liked it. I could debate the limitations and exceptions of a point and shoot but it really doesn't matter as you are right, this is an artsy (aka, tess) shot, so not for everyone.
Well most of my comment was to try and translate, and I think I was pretty close in that respect ('nuff said).
I'm hoping you'll post all three images as it would make for a good side by side comparison.

I, of course, know you'll be posting a lot more images in the days and weeks to come, and I'm certainly looking forward to what your creative mind comes up with. You are fortunate to have both a great playground to explore, and the time to go shooting. I've gotten a bit tired of shooting the local jungle gym (aka my kids playground), and trying to capture them with manual focus lenses (which are on my camera most of the time since that's what I've mainly got, especially for close up / macro work).