Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Find your Eden! (lotsa pix)
Posted By: luftfluss, 06-08-2012, 07:36 PM

Hey guys & gals, I don't post pics very often, but I've been thinking (uh oh).... many of us don't have the opportunity to venture forth deep into the great wide world and find wonderful, dramatic scenes to photograph, for a variety of reasons. I'd just like to post a reminder that little, beautiful worlds - tiny Edens, if you will - can be found all around us; in this case, a couple hundred feet away from my house. There, in a corner of a field that abuts the woods, was a small patch of buttercups, and I found it... and I'm sure that somewhere by you, there, too, is a little paradise waiting for you to come by with your camera!

Views: 1,369
06-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
One of the things I like about the first shot is how it gives a true feeling of deep shade, just dappled with spots of sunlight through the (presumed) tree cover. It could be interesting brighter, but not every shadowy shot is underexposed, either.

Btw, from my own experience, buttercups blow out their highlights if you so much as look at them the wrong way. Pretty flowers but a pain to shoot. I think it's because they're surprisingly reflective on the petals inner surface.

I guess when I look at the image there is one flower dead center that catches the eye, and I would focus on bring that one out just a little bit more. I agree the shadows make the image, and I'm not out to change it dramatically. Note also, that had the image been shown on its own, it might have lead to a different response than being shown with all the others which have quite a different feel to them.

06-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Note also, that had the image been shown on its own, it might have lead to a different response than being shown with all the others which have quite a different feel to them.
That's very true. I was just throwing my 2 cents in, I wasn't out to contradict you. I was partly curious if the way I was interpreting the shot was what luftfluss was going for. I enjoy shooting much the same kinds of things myself.
06-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I think it's fine, and the skippers are wonderful. Your third shot above is better than I have done on a buttercup. I see you knocked it down 2/3 of an EV, which is exactly what I've been doing lately. Even a full stop, it helps a lot with bright flowers in sunlight. Sometime soon I'll post a few of my swallowtails, and you'll see what I mean with the Dame's Rocket flowers they're on.
Often I shoot macros/close-ups in M mode. My typical setting in sunlight, when using the Quantaray 70-300 lens in macro mode, is ISO 400, f/10, 1/500s - that's when I'm anticipating some butterfly action.

We only get a few swallowtails around here in August, I'd like to see some of yours on the Dame's rockets, it must be a beautiful combination.